Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:04 PM   #1

I picked up a *ist DL on the weekend. This is my first SLR camera of any sort.

A questions regarding the camera itself. When focusing in very lowlight conditions in automatic mode, the flash comes on when the shutter release button is depressed halfway. The flash comes on for a second or two and emits a sort of zapping electrical sound. Is this normal?

Second question... I am in Canada. I have been looking at Ebay to pickup some lenses and possibly other accesories. Cameta is one seller I am interested in. Is there duty on camera equipment shipped from the USA to Canada? What are customs brokerage rates I can expect to pay? Also, does it make a difference for duty and brokerage if I buy from a retailer or a private individual?

Thanks. Ive gone through a ton of posts on here and have learned a lot. I hope I can contribute in the future.
eastwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:34 PM   #2

eastwest wrote:
Quote:
I picked up a *ist DL on the weekend. This is my first SLR camera of any sort.
congrats on an excellent decision
A questions regarding the camera itself. When focusing in very lowlight conditions in automatic mode, the flash comes on when the shutter release button is depressed halfway.normal
The flash comes on for a second or two and emits a sort of zapping electrical sound. Is this normal?
normal
have you read the manual?? i know it's in swahili

Second question... I am in Canada. I have been looking at Ebay to pickup some lenses and possibly other accesories. Cameta is one seller I am interested in. Is there duty on camera equipment shipped from the USA to Canada? What are customs brokerage rates I can expect to pay? Also, does it make a difference for duty and brokerage if I buy from a retailer or a private individual?
yes

you will have to ck.

or a private individual??? maybe, i can list it as a gift if it makes a difference

RTM

Thanks. Ive gone through a ton of posts on here and have learned a lot. I hope I can contribute in the future.
Quote:
roy
Quote:
ck your profile here if you are still using the black background..
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:29 AM   #3
TDN

Yes the flash strobe is some sort of AF-assist, helps the camera to focus...I rarely use it, since it's quite annoying to the subject.

congrats with the new camera, you'll have loads of fun with it

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:18 AM   #4

Ive been reading the manual and have searched for the flash issue but havent been able to find anything specific to my question. Id like to be able to turn it off. The first time it happened I thought the flash was short circuiting (ok, im a newbie).

Thanks for your responses so far. Im still searchign the net for others experiences when ordering from the USA into Canada.

And thanks for the tip on getting rid of the black background on the forum.
eastwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:11 AM   #5

Eastwest, thats why it is called "automatic mode" it will do it automatically. You can try deselecting the flash by pushing the Fn button on the back of the camera and then selecting down arrow, if you can select "no flash" then do so, try that.

If it doesn't work....then, got to Av or Tv modes and it won't do it again...ever, unless you push the button to raise the flash.

:|
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:23 AM   #6

Ahh a fellow canuck. Dude, the flash zap is normal. It's basically AF-assist. to help the camera focus. All you need to do to disable is to pop down the flash and it tries to fcus using available light.

Best bet is to have a rel;ative or friend sneak in the lenses. Or ship to mail boxes etc or ups store and drive down to pick it up.

eastwest wrote:
Quote:
Ive been reading the manual and have searched for the flash issue but havent been able to find anything specific to my question. Id like to be able to turn it off. The first time it happened I thought the flash was short circuiting (ok, im a newbie).

Thanks for your responses so far. Im still searchign the net for others experiences when ordering from the USA into Canada.

And thanks for the tip on getting rid of the black background on the forum.
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote