Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:49 PM   #11

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
We are NOT the worst off in North America. I assure you, with my experience in at least 3 European countries we are STILL the best. Some countries never reached customer service.

I instruct in Customer Care/Services and the whole idea is to have the Right Attitude, Attention and Action - the 3 As of Customer Care. The good thing is, if you do something right it will get repeated and people hear about it. It would be a nightmare if you do something bad and it gets repeated 13 times - a real statistic.

I'll now get off my soap box.
I make you right there. Being in a European country, I know we are guilty of not doing customer service, generally because it is dead money. Why bother being nice - no tips over here, everyone on a low wage. Why encourage people to come back to the store, you don't own it, or get a share in the profits (or commission a lot of the time) so you take your wage, watch the clock and that's it.

Annoys me so much - I have been on several Customer Care courses, and most of it is just easy common sense/courtesy. I have tried to appy it in various jobs, mostly to no avail - makes my job easier, but doesn't generate income, so is a waste of time.

Oh well! Not my company!

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:30 PM   #12

Ira,

I have a tough moral (or what?) question.
My daughter is to come back Thanksgiving Day from the US to Toronto Oct 7 with a K100D (tax free from B&H at US $619 body only).
Now Henry in Toronto has the same at Can $699+14 % tax .
All in all , I will save around $100 by getting it tax free from the States.
Yet I have got service in the local Henry store and they are not exactly cheap.
Well does the moral high ground of sticking with your local Henry store worth $100?

Daniel

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I think we are the worst off in North America. Here the "super store" concept has created a low cost, buteven lower service, market. We get things cheaper because these huge stores hire part time workers at minimum wage. They don't give them enough hours to qualify for benefits, and the result is they often hold two jobs to make ends meet. These workers are not trained and they have no incentive to learn on their own because next week they may be selling lawn furniture or pet food.

The price we pay for low prices, the erosion of service. Our last camera store in Gander closed under sad circumstances with a note on the door thanking the "super store" for their contribution. I won't name the chain but the writing was on the wal so to speak.

Ira
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:32 PM   #13

Danielchtong, I also went to my local Henry's to handle and play with the camera.¬* I asked him about cost and he said it came to $1000 even with the tax (body and kit lens).¬* I asked the guy for his card and told him I might be back, he was a nice guy and was very helpful; didn't try to upsell anything but a warranty and directed me right to where I wanted to be.I went home and searched around the net and found a place out of Alberta with a MUCH cheaper price than Henry's and Alberta doesn't have PST like here in Ontario so I am also saving another 6% plus its free shipping.I was able to order the camera w/lens, batteries + a charger, 1GB SD card and a card reader with all costs (tax plus shipping on the last three since they are coming from elsewhere) for less than the camera and lens at Henry's.¬* I have no regrets on saving all this money (I am a student) and know I'm just waiting for delivery and then its time to¬*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/camera.gif[/img].
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:51 PM   #14

Hi Balofagus and Welcome to the Board - and a neighbour too.

No one should have regrets about purchasing at another store and for a better price. It is the business which needs from the customer not the other way around. They need your custom.

The big box stores are winning because they're getting a better deal for the customer - simple. I can't say I agree with the labour policies, I am a firm believer in unions but, they're also employing a lot of elderly people who want to keep busy or students who need to pay for their books, booze or cameras.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:09 PM   #15

Well guys I was not implying that I was any less guilty. I will go for the lower price if it means more money in my pocket, which it does of course. I am as much a part of this as anyone. I just want to point out that we are all at the mercy of this new economy and it is unfortunate that the little mom and pop store is disappearing. The movie "You've Got Mail" addresses it well because it shows both sides of the coin without actually vilifying anyone.

I wish we could go back but it is no longer possible, our society has changed so dramatically and we didn't even notice. Oh well, anyone else know of a way to get me a tax free K100D (or even another DL) from the US:G.

Ira, hypocrite to the end. (they don't call me crummey for nothing)
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:39 PM   #16

Ira - pay for my transportation and I'd be there in a heartbeat - I've always wanted to visit Newfoundland and the Maritime provinces! Of course, my transportation would cost more than all the taxes and duty thatCanada puts on things...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:54 AM   #17

I didn't think this thread will get so long :-).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Ira: in UK there's a big supermarket chain which belongs to the one you didn't mention, but at least on their photo section you can always see the same people, so they now something and can give you advice. on the other hand they have only point and shot cameras and not too many of them.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"when I asked about StoFen omni bounce flash diffusers in the biggest photo chain in UK I was told: haven't seen them in 3 years, but their smaller competitor does have them and can even order one for any flash straight from manufacturer. That really surprised me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Back to customer care. Lucky for me I never had to make any complaints or return any of my purchases in USA or UK, so I don't know anything about that side of the market. But I really think that in such specialized stores should work people whohave at least medium knowledge about what they are selling.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:28 AM   #18

Ira, photo equipment is duty free - you should only be charged GST.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:21 AM   #19

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Ira, photo equipment is duty free - you should only be charged GST.
Woopeee!!

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:48 AM   #20

I won't mention the name, but the store I just bought my DL at has been dissapointing. It's a Camera store, they do nothing but sell camera equipment and make prints etc.

I made the initial purchase and all went reasonably well. But after a week or so I decided I needed some extras, so I head on down to ask about a cable release. Nope don't carry it and we'd have to special order it. Lenses?They had the 18-55 that came with the camera and a 50-200. Thats it. Flash? Nope they don't carry those either. So I have to order everything off the net for my Pentax. Now if I had bought a Nikon I could have went to a competing store and bought everything I needed. I find it hardsee why a camera store(a chain store to boot) would carry a particular brand camera(pentax)and not carryat the least a bare minimumof add ons.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote