Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:16 PM   #11

robar wrote:
Quote:
no humming birds in UK.. what a shame.. they are delightful little creatures to watch..

i'm surprized you aren't out shooting with the 55mm and ext rings you received today, alison..

roy
I was but it was a pretty unsuccessful trip today! lol! I shall go out again tomorrow (weather permitting).

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:27 PM   #12

it'll be a little different because of the different distances involved. shoot inside using the onboard flash and hit the delete key. practice in other words..

roy
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:25 PM   #13

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Roy, I feel your pain in trying to capture the little buggers on film! Your image captures a great freeze frame of the hummer! Won't be long before they head South for the Winter. They are usually gone from these parts by the end of September. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:02 PM   #14

robar wrote:
Quote:
i know it's soft. it's the best i got of about 15.. that was shot with the damaged A*300 at f4. it's the only lens i have that will get me close..

roy

and yes, it's still hotter than hades here..
roy,
i have the same problem with the same lens. it is likely that your lens is not damaged to such an extent. i find that i have to be extra careful with camera shake when doing handheld particularly when my left hand is on the focus ring . I have motion created on both hands while aiming .composing and pressing the shutter.
Mind you we are talking about subject 40 ft away.

daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:12 PM   #15

this was taken at about 15', 3m distance at 1/500. i was sitting down. i've also thought it was camera shake but i'm just still not sure. i'll try with a tripod soon..
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:38 PM   #16

I'd consider placing the camera closer on a tripod and using focus trap. Ron (brandx on the DPR forum) has gotten some amazing results this way. I think he also used an extension tube to get a shorter min focusing distance. Another thing to consider is using a camo hide placed close to the feeder, but then again, you can't get too much closer with that lens.

I'd personally be happy with any hummer images in my collection, so I'd be the last to be critical of yours. I'm jealous. . .

Scott

robar wrote:
Quote:
this was taken at about 15', 3m distance at 1/500. i was sitting down. i've also thought it was camera shake but i'm just still not sure. i'll try with a tripod soon..
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:31 PM   #17

robar wrote:
Quote:
i know it's soft. it's the best i got of about 15..
Roy, I'f I would have given it a try, I would have ended up with 100 shots of a feeder... I't not you, its that hummer not keeping still!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:48 PM   #18

It's a whole lot better than I've ever managed. Once (when I was still using the Sony) I took about 20 pictures trying to capture a hummer on a hike. Every time I'd get him in my sights, he'd disappear to somewhere else andhe moved so fast I couldn't track him. I don't know how many times I lined him up. I did manage to capture him in one frame - but you couldn't see him in the background. The only one I've managed to capture where you could actually see him was taken by accident.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:46 AM   #19

tried with the 70-210. must be operater error41
Attached Images

Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:46 AM   #20

Attached Images