Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:30 AM   #11

Those are all great shots Ira. I just received my Sigma today, and can't wait until the weekend to really try it out.

If you don't mind I have a couple quick questions for you:

-Are you using any type of external flash other than the one built into the DL?

-Do you find that you have much use for the kit lens now that you have the Sigma? It seems that the Sigma pretty much overlaps everything that the kit lens does except for extreme wide-angle shots. Would you say that the Sigma is sharper?
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:25 AM   #12

intence wrote:
Quote:
Those are all great shots Ira. I just received my Sigma today, and can't wait until the weekend to really try it out.

If you don't mind I have a couple quick questions for you:

-Are you using any type of external flash other than the one built into the DL?

-Do you find that you have much use for the kit lens now that you have the Sigma? It seems that the Sigma pretty much overlaps everything that the kit lens does except for extreme wide-angle shots. Would you say that the Sigma is sharper?

-Are you using any type of external flash other than the one built into the DL? I use flash as little as possible (none in these images) but in anything larger than a small living room I use an old Vivitar 285 and set the camera on manual. The GN of the Vivitar is 120ft at ISO 100 so it is quite powerful.

-Do you find that you have much use for the kit lens now that you have the Sigma? Yes, the kit lens gets some real wide angle shots. I use it most of the time in a house where room to move is limited. It is a very nice lens.

-It seems that the Sigma pretty much overlaps everything that the kit lens does except for extreme wide-angle shots. Yes that is true.

-Would you say that the Sigma is sharper? Tough call, the Pentax has much more resistance to flare than the Sigma (be sure to use your lens hood) but there are cases where each has shown some slight advantage.

When shooting film I went through a "wide angle period" where I got a 19-35mm Phoenix lens and got in real close (remember I am talking film here so 19mm is in fact 19mm, you would need a 12mm lens now for that field of view). I got over that. I liked the results but have found the longer lenses to be more fun, so the 24-135mm suits me just fine now. When I shot a wedding a little while back I used the 18-55mm kit lens almost exclusively, that range is great when you know you won't be trapped too far away and may have to deal with large groups in small places.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, I will be back to work in a couple of weeks (I am a teacher) but then the most beautiful season is upon us. Weekends may involve a lot of short trips this year.

Ira

BTW When I was going through some old magazines I found a reference to the trade show where the Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 lens was first announced. At that time the pre-production models on display were labelled EX the pro level Sigmas. Somewhere between that introduction and actual production someone at Sigma must have felt that it didn't measure up to the EX label, but in construction it is definitely closer to the EX range than it is to their consumer zooms. That is one big plus of this lens, it appears to be built like a tank. In the third picture you may notice the out-of-focus highlights are nice little circular patterns (nice Bokeh) this is because the Sigma has at least 9 aperture blades, the six blades of the consumer lenses often produce little hexagons that are more distracting. The same is true of lens flare, the Sigma makes little circle patterns which do not look too bad. Here is an example: (Notice the image contrast isn't bad, the general washed out look we get with lens flare isn't too bad here)

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:47 AM   #13
TDN

The first one's really not my thing...

all the others are incredible!

very nice people shots too. It takes a keen eye to deliver an interesting portrait. I only get them once in a while.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:57 AM   #14

Thanks for the detailed response Ira. I'm still very new to SLR (and DSLR), but so far the Sigma seems like it will make a great walk-around lens. Hopefully one day with enough practice i'll be able to take shots that are half as good as yours Your pictures are always amazing.
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:19 PM   #15

intence wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed response Ira. I'm still very new to SLR (and DSLR), but so far the Sigma seems like it will make a great walk-around lens. Hopefully one day with enough practice i'll be able to take shots that are half as good as yours Your pictures are always amazing.
You are very welcome, if I have time I try to answer all the questions I can, find answers to some of the ones I don't know and plea ignorance in all the others.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote