Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:33 PM   #1

The weather here lately has been depressingly wet and few photo opportunities. This weekend we visited my brother in law and the weather held long enough for some fun.

First the night shots (ISO 200, Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 at 24mm and f2.8, 30 second exposures, minimum post processing with no noise reduction software used. Trying out my new tripod)

Then we took a day trip to Belle Island, a former iron ore mine that was of strategic importance during both World Wars. Time didn't permit a lot of exploring but I did get some nice shots.

First a couple of people pictures, this one uses the camera's built in sepia filter and ISO 1600 (still the Sigma lens and no noise reduction after the fact):

And I liked this (also shot with the Sigma):

Finally some scenery, the first shot with the 18-55mm DA kit lens shows the vignetting at 18mm:

This was shot with the kit lens at 55mm and f45 (yes that is 45 not 4.5) in order to blur the water, it was hand held so it isn't that sharp (a K100D would be nice). (1/8 sec )

Finally the light house (harsh mid afternoon lighting didn't help here). The Sigma again, at 24mm.

Ira, still waiting for a good day.

BTW my new Avatar is not a mirror shot this time. My son shot this with the Fuji S7000 while I was taking his picture.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:54 PM   #2

Hi Ira

All great Shots. I really like the Night Sky Shot and the waterfalls. Sounds like you had a great time.
My Much Anticipated trip to Arizona Might not happen Do to My Recent Hospitalization. Maybe i can Squezze in a trip to the Cape in the fall.

Thanks For Sharing

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:04 PM   #3

Hello, Ira,

Like them all, yet the one with the sepia filter is "cool" . . . and I like the sharpness and colors of the fourth one . .. and then the last one has that lonely and windy look. Yep, they are all good.

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:11 PM   #4

Sorry to hear that Phil. Our vacation plans were on hold brcause of far less serious time constraints but next year we hope to get off the island for a while.

Just for fun here is one of me playing with a tinyLED flashlight (Sigma, 24mm at f2.8, 30sec)

Ira

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:29 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Ira,

You are the master of composition! Enjoyed all of them. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:52 PM   #6

Really like the night shots--something I need to try for myself sometime.

Rick
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:21 PM   #7

Very nice photos. That first one almost had a hand painted look to it.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:25 PM   #8

Monza76 wrote:
The weather here lately has been depressingly wet and few photo opportunities.* This weekend we visited my brother in law and the weather held long enough for some fun.

Hi Ira,

Finally you have got around to take some pict despite lousy weather. I particularly like your portrait 3rd and 4th.
Thanks for sharing.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:12 AM   #9

Ira, you haven't posted much lately. This post is itself the explanation why I have missed your contributions!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:37 AM   #10

Very nice photos - I love the night ones. I've always loved your compositions and use of available light, so creative! Now that all your lousy weather has gotten you down, don't you think it's time to visit someplace that is almost always sunny (and hot again at the moment)?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote