Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:44 PM   #1

Good evening,

I managed to swing into a pawn shop while I was working today. I have done a lot of business there in the past (buying stuff, not pawning) and I knew they had a display of camerastuff that never seemed to change. I took a close look at it for the first time today and found the following lenses, I hope someone might offer insight into whether or not these are much sought after jewels:

Tamron Auto 80-250 with a constant f/3.8 72mm filter size. This lens is a screw mount. Are there any other screw mounts besides the Pentax one? I should be able to add a screw mount to K mount adaptor and use this like a fully manual M lens right? This is one heavy lens, it must weight twice as much as the camera. Is it even safe to put such a heavy lens on a camera, I would be afraid that if I let the neck strap hold it the weight of the lens would tear something up inside the camera mounting system. Glass is dusty on the outside of the front lens and rearmost side of the rear lens but I saw no scratches or damage. Seemed to be very well made, did I mention heavy?

Kiron 28mm F2. Glass seems good but it has a dent in the filter threads, I doubt it could be straightened enough to mount a filter. Fully manual K mount.

Five Star 500mm F8. This looks just like the ones I see on ebay ($99) that are made by Phoenix. It looks about new and is very light for its size. I assume this is no great shakes if it is selling new for $100.

The shop owner said I could have any one of them for $50.00. If I took all three she would throw in a new set of Hoya 52 mm close up filters (+1,+2,+4) and a 52 mm skylight filter, all of which would fit on the two lenses I alreadyhave.

There was one other lens I noticed right as I was leaving. It was a Super Takumar screwmount 35mm f/3.5. I already have a 50mm 1.7 coming from ebay so I did not look too closely at that one but please tell me if I should have.

In general, are screwmount conversions worth bothering with? Also, are there any other conversions that can be done? I did not even look at the Nikon and Minolta lenses in the case, is there an adaptor to make one of those manual lenses work with a Pentax?

Thank you,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:22 AM   #2

I can't help you with the screw mount lenses (though I'll eagerly read others answers). However, I did a bit of research on the Kiron lenses (since I had never heard of them and had one that had been my fathers). Some of the Kiron lenses are quite nice. The company is long gone (if I remember right), so the lenses usually go for less than "name-brand" ones. I found the 80-200 Kiron lens a bit too soft for my taste, but that might have been because (as I found out recently) the lens won't stop down right, and I've been shooting all this time with the lens wide open. Here's one person's take on the lens you are talking about: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00ACJC.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:44 AM   #3

I regulary use several screw mount lenses

Super Takumar 55mm
Vivitar 135mm
Vivitar 200mm
Tokina 300m

I would look at the Super Takumar 35mm as the wider angle lenses are a bit harder to find, and with the crop factor bringing it to about 47.5 mm or equivilent to the 50mm standard lens on a film camera.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply mtngal. I have done a little research also and found the Kiron once made a 105mm macro that is much sought after (and is now on my list). I appreciate the link, it looks like it is well thought of but several examples have had sticky aperture rings. I did not have my camera with me when I was looking at these lenses, do you know how to test for sticky ring? I assume you mount it on the camera and use the aperture ring but I am not sure, the only lenses I have thus far are the kit lenses without aperture control.

Thank you again,

Tim
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks Phil. Do you use them with an adaptor on a K-mount Dslr? If you do, Does the adaptor mount to the camera (and then you screw in multiple lenses) or to the lens (so you can switch between K mount and adapted lenses easily and quickly) or can you do it either way you prefer?

The adaptors I have found thus far have been plastic. I have seen pictures of nice Pentax brand metal ones. I question the ability of the plastic adaptor to hold so much weight. I assume some of your lenses are very heavy also, do you have any experience with different adaptors?

Thank you again,

Tim
Old Aug 23, 2006, 2:58 PM   #6
TDN

That 500mm, is that a mirror lens?

I think that might be worth looking into, if you see any use for it...(I wouldnt buy it if you know you'd only rarely use it...)

Perhaps you can bargain to get the filters together with 1 lens for 50$ or something

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:36 PM   #7

Crash,

No, not a mirror. It looks just like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/k2bpp

Seeing what the prices are for name brand 500mm lenses I am sure it is nothing to write home about. I am sure I would have fun with an ultra powerful zoom, I don't know if this one could even meet low expectations though.

I am most intrigued by the very heavy Tamron. I often read reviews of how lenses feel "light" and "cheap" or "heavy and well built." If weight is really a measure of lens quality this thing must be a real gem. I also understand that fixed aperture zoom lenses tend to be expensive.

However, further reading and researching seems to indicate that Tamron had some kind of universal mount called an adaptall that looks like a Pentax screw mount with different threads. There apparently is also something called a T mount that may or may not be the same as the adaptall and an M42, which I have pretty well concluded to be the same as a Pentax screw mount.Without adaptors in hand to test I really don't know how to tell them apart.

Probably what is at work here is my collector drive to find that overlooked gem in a dusty corner. I should probably stick to lenses that are designed for the camera I have and learn more before I look at adapting other mounts.

Tim
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:48 PM   #8

As far as testing the aperture on a lens - all I did with my Kiron was look at the back element and turn the aperture ring on the lens - no camera involved. If the lens doesn't close down (mine didn't) then you have a problem. The K mount lenses have a lever on them that the camera controls. When mounted on a camera the lens will not automatically stop down like it does when not mounted. When you press the shutter, the camera works the lever, which allows the lens to stop down to take the picture. That's the second thing that can go wrong, and you can check that by setting the aperture ring to something really small and using the optical preview to stop down the lens. If the scene goes rather dark, the lens is working on the camera. If it is the same then it isn't stopping down (that's what clued me in that my Kiron might have a problem).

Does all that make sense? It's easier to figure out if you have a manual or A lens in front of you.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:05 PM   #9

harriet, you can fix that kiron with the same tool i suggested for the 2x converter..hehe

roy
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:15 PM   #10

It sure would makea BIG extension tube, wouldn't it?

If I thought it could be as good as the F70-210 I used to have, I'd take it to a camera repair place and see if they could fix it. However, it would cost more than I would be able to get for it, just to see if it were repairable or not (though that fee would be waived if I actually got it repaired - and that would most definitely cost more than it would bring on ebay). It's stuck in the darkcorner with a Pentax lens (want to say 24 or 28 to 50 zoom) that is pretty soft, also. This corner had all of my old Pentax equipment for several years before I bought the DS - I had loved it all, and was too sentimental to sell any of it. That sure worked in my favor when I found out about the DS!