Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:49 PM   #1

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...413&page=1

Found this the other day on the nikon dpreview forum and thought is was amazing. I'm heading up to Europe in January for a few months and was wondering the best place to get photos of this amazing event!
Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:02 PM   #2

Patang wrote:
Quote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...413&page=1

Found this the other day on the nikon dpreview forum and thought is was amazing. I'm heading up to Europe in January for a few months and was wondering the best place to get photos of this amazing event!
Hi Patang

You can Check out this web Site. http://www.spaceweather.com/ It will give you info on Auroras and they have a Gallery. They also have an Email service that will Keep you informed On the Solar flares that cause the Auroras.

I personally sawIt only Once in My life, When I was very Young (teens). It was and is a beautiful and Amazing thing To see. Very rarely does it makes its way To Connecticut.

BK/Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:25 AM   #3

Hi Patang!

I'm not very young, I've been living in Sweden all my life and I've never seen it! You'll have to go faaaaar north in Sweden, Norway or Finland if you want to shoot this spectacular phenomenon. So take that into your travel plans. Waiting for your posts!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:58 AM   #4

I'll back Phil up there, Spaceweather.com is a good site to check out. Seeing auroras depends on a lot of factors. They are caused by solar winds, streams of magnetic and electrically charged particals streaming from the sun and interacting with the Earth's atmosphere around north and south poles. They happen most often around the Arctic and Antartic Circles, so in Europe, you want to go north, Scandanavia, northern Russia, sometimes Scotland and Northern Ireland. They are not in the sky all the time, in fact, during a solar minimum, the low point in the sun's cycle of sunspot creation (we're in a solar minimum now), people in prime Aurora spotting areas, can go months without seeing them. Sunspots eject the particles needed to create Auroras in what are called coronal mass ejections. Sometimes, though, when the solar winds and atmospheric conditions are just right, they can show up as far south as Mexico in the western hemisphere. I've seen auroras twice in my life, both times in Missouri, which is way south for Auroras. I shot these in 2004 with a K-1000 and 400 speed film down here in Southwest Missouri near Joplin. These were 30 second exposures, so the colors are enhanced. You actually saw these colors, but they were dimmer with the naked eye.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:59 AM   #5

Here's another one from that day.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:54 PM   #6

I'd love to see them, too. I do know that if you look at the Mt. Wilson Observatory (a large telecope site in the mountains north of Pasadena, California, once owned by Caltech, I think, and now owned by UCLA) webcam site, they have some "best of the webcam" photos. It shows the webcam capturing the Aurora Borealis over the city of Los Angeles several years ago. Sure wish I had stayed up for that!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote