Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:32 PM   #1

With the same Tamron lens, it shows I am getting old and shaky. Must either start taking my monopod or get the NEW Pentax with the AS whatever.

I have used the USM and although not pleased with the results of the original picture there was something about the image.

Attached Images

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:25 PM   #2

Looks like a great excuse for buying the K100D to me! I can see why you like the picture, even with the shake.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
With the same Tamron lens, it shows I am getting old and shaky. Must either start taking my monopod or get the NEW Pentax with the AS whatever.

I have used the USM and although not pleased with the results of the original picture there was something about the image.

jc, this is a great street photo, something i suck at.. never have done this good myself..
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:09 AM   #4

nlp239, I hope you don't mind I tried a little something. Used levels to increase contrast, sharpened (I had a reason not to leave this for last), converted to grayscale, added uniform noise. I think the result really looks the part of an old Tri-X street photo (well, maybe I should have eased up on the noise but...).

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:41 AM   #5

I don't mind at all, if I post something with a question, go for it without asking.

It does remind me of a Tri-X and I suppose many in this forum remember that one. What was the other b/w film from K, was it the +x pan or was that colour. Another lifetime.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:00 PM   #6

A slight amount of Smart Sharpen in CS2 helps without too much on the facial features which IMHO would be wrong.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:24 PM   #7

That's an absolutely great job. What settings did you use? How can you not do the facial features, isn't the Smart Sharpen a filter that does the whole image. I am so NOT a power user of CS2.

Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:03 PM   #8

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
I don't mind at all, if I post something with a question, go for it without asking.

It does remind me of a Tri-X and I suppose many in this forum remember that one. What was the other b/w film from K, was it the +x pan or was that colour. Another lifetime.
Yeah, plus X was the ISO 125 and then there was Panatomic (sic) X which was ISO 25 I believe.

Plus X (or maybe even pan X ) might look more like this: Thanks for the sharpened version Catbells. I guess it is simulate black and white film day for me.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:20 PM   #9

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
That's an absolutely great job. What settings did you use? How can you not do the facial features, isn't the Smart Sharpen a filter that does the whole image. I am so NOT a power user of CS2.
Power user. Me neither, I just dabble and with trial & error plus inputs from this and other forums, you pick up useful information.

I just played around with the Amount (67%) and radius (2.1) until it looked right. I've found Smart Sharp more dramatic than USM which I tend to use in post processing mt RAW images when converted into JPEG.
Attached Images

Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:22 PM   #10

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, plus X was the ISO 125 and then there was Panatomic (sic) X which was ISO 25 I believe.

Plus X (or maybe even pan X ) might look more like this: Thanks for the sharpened version Catbells. I guess it is simulate black and white film day for me.
That's a really nice image Ira - takes me back to my B&W darkroom days.