Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:05 AM   #1

I was wondering how large photos you find annoying to download. I mean: I shrink them to 800x600 but when I save them they are around 150-200kB. It doesn't bother me, I have fast connection but how about majority of you. Do you find it acceptable to wait for few 150-200kB photos to load in one post, or should I resize to 640-480 and use more compression to get below 100kB?
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:11 AM   #2

With a screen resolution of 1280x960, an image width of 700 keeps the image visible without having to scroll to see all of it.

Personally, I always upload at the largest file size to maximise quality & use resize in DCE Autoenhance as the Lanczose reduction, IMHO, produces sharper resized images; all enhancement settings are turned off.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:22 AM   #3

The largest size i feel Comfortable with is 1024X768. This size will comfortably fill the screen without excessive scrolling.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:34 AM   #4

I usu upload the full size to my photo web storage site.
But I also give the direct link of resolution of 1280x960 with the remark that viewer can have full size by clicking original .

Daniel
pbase.com/danieltong

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
With a screen resolution of 1280x960, an image width of 700 keeps the image visible without having to scroll to see all of it.

Personally, I always upload at the largest file size to maximise quality & use resize in DCE Autoenhance as the Lanczose reduction, IMHO, produces sharper resized images; all enhancement settings are turned off.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:29 AM   #5

Change the compression level on your jpgs.
I use 5 or 6 (on the 1-12 scale that photoshop gives) for email and web and 800px wide shots look fine.
This usually brings the size down to 50-70kB.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:38 AM   #6

I'm using 1280x1024 and I always resize my uploads to no more than 800 across at usually 1 pixel per inch. There are still many people in rural areas of the world who do not yet have access to cable or A/DSL yet.

One of my biggest beefs is when I have to scroll-right.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:19 AM   #7

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering how large photos you find annoying to download. I mean: I shrink them to 800x600 but when I save them they are around 150-200kB. It doesn't bother me, I have fast connection but how about majority of you. Do you find it acceptable to wait for few 150-200kB photos to load in one post, or should I resize to 640-480 and use more compression to get below 100kB?
I use the MS Windows powertool to resize pictures, it gives me very small files that still have lots of detail. I choose "large" for verticals (results in a 511 x 768 image)and get about an 80K file and choose "medium" for horizontals (results in an 800 x 532 image) and get about the same maximum file size. The results are quite adequate for viewing on this forum.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:14 AM   #8

Use this graphic as a guide to which size looks right on you PC set -a higherscreen resolution will allow a bigger image to viewed without horizontal scrolling.
Attached Images

Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:40 AM   #9

I think we didn't understand each other. the question is what filesize are you considering too big to post, not the actual resolution. do you mind 3 photos at 150-200kB each or would you prefer same photos at 100kB max in one post? It's up to 600kB compared to 300kB to wait to load in one post. I don't mind large files but I know there are people with slower connections and I'd like to know what they consider too large to wait for.

Maybe I wasn't clear at that, sorry.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:12 PM   #10

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
I think we didn't understand each other. the question is what filesize are you considering too big to post, not the actual resolution. do you mind 3 photos at 150-200kB each or would you prefer same photos at 100kB max in one post? It's up to 600kB compared to 300kB to wait to load in one post. I don't mind large files but I know there are people with slower connections and I'd like to know what they consider too large to wait for.

Maybe I wasn't clear at that, sorry.
Personally, I always upload at the largest file size to maximise quality i.e. 250K. combined with a resizing utility that doesn't degrade the the image too much.

The suggestion to use a thumbnail linked to a full size image is fine BUT I prefer to see the image within the thread.

By keeping the image size down to 700 pixels (as is my preference) then a file size of 250K produces a most acceptable image in terms of quality to illustrate the point etc being made by the post.