Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:28 PM   #11

here here! i agree with you roy. most digital photographers really don't need 10MP. 6MP is plenty for my needs. unless you really want to blow up your photos and make huge enlargements that is. alot of this MP race has to do with marketing and keeping up with the jones aka other camera manufacturers. now if coming out with a 10MP will convert more canon/nikon users over to pentax then i'm all for it. it will help grab more of the market share for pentax and a stronger pentax company will benefit us in the future. go pentax go!
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:58 PM   #12

I think the important piece to note is that 10MP is being offered in the Rebel XTi. It can be argued that the Rebel is the "default" choice of the average DSLR consumer.

Even with P&S cameras, mostpeople I know look at MP first, and hardly pay any attention to the lens, sensor size, and other important factors.

I doubt we'll see any significant change in the near future, until there becomes some other "measure" for consumers to judge cameras. Right now the first question they ask is "how many MP", and I suppose the marketing departments have clued in to this and will raise MP at the cost of overall image quality.

I'm quite happy with my DL, 6MP is more than enough, and the camera has more than enough features for me to practice photography with. SR would have been nice, but in a few years, when I grow out of the DL, i'm hoping Pentax will have something with the K-Mount, SR, more MPs with an affordable price tag.

Right now we're thinking of getting an ultra-compact P&S for my wife. The number of cameras out there that use 1/1.8" sensors vs. 1/2.5" sensors is quite small. I guess it just shows that most people are caught up in the MP race.
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:11 PM   #13

This MP race reminds me of the computer processor speed race, that finally ran into the wall of heat and battery life in laptops. More MP would be great if there were not too many compromises that had to be made to get them such as noise at high ISO.

It looks like the sensor needs to be larger to keep the low noise that we with Pentax cameras are use to, since both the Sony 10MP and Nikon 10MP are very noisy at high ISO. Hopefully Pentax has that problem figured out, but time will tell since it may be a problem that can not be fixed with today's sensor limitations.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:48 PM   #14
TDN

I read something that the K10D would be around 1000 USD, not 2000. Which would be an excellent price.

As for noise, noise is relative. I think us Pentaxians can praise ourself lucky with the low light performances of our cameras, and I don't think pentax will want to pass up on that.
Now if you have more megapixels (i.e. 10MP), that means your final image will have a larger pixel count too. Now I would bet that if you resized that image to the size of something you get out of a 6MP, the noise would get less significant too.

And noise will be there anyway. I personally do not dislike the Pentax noise. In low light shots it's more like a film grain, which is a nice effect sometimes.

I for one would love a 10 MP camera with SR, some more buttons & external controls, with a nice pricetag from Pentax.

Although my budget won't allow me to buy one at the release time, I think over time I would definitly get one. (next year or the year after...)

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:55 PM   #15

TDN $2000 AUS is not $2000US :-):-) closer to $1400US

I have been told, now don't quote me on this, that the K100D sensor is actually an 8mp sensor, 6mp is used for image capture and the other outside edges (2mp worth) is used in the SR.

If the image quality out of the K100D is anything to go by, then we might just have a great 10mp sensor coming in the K10D.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:15 PM   #16

One guy in dpreview forum claims that he saw K10D on internal pricelist of Ritz Camera and K10D body + kit lense is 1000USD. Body only is 900USD.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:00 PM   #17

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
One guy in dpreview forum claims that he saw K10D on internal pricelist of Ritz Camera and K10D body + kit lense is 1000USD. Body only is 900USD.
With the new Canon actually coming in $100 less than the old one and offering more for the price, this Pentax better be very good to charge this price.

On this forum we are Pentax users and we see the value the mark offers however I have ventured out to the "What Camera Should I Buy?" forum. It is scary out there, between the "photo jewelry" crowd who must have the right label hanging around their necks, to the MP addicts who always believe that more is better, to the guys who constantly quote specifications, to the quiet voice of reason, usually lost in the din. Out there Canon is king, Nikon is crown prince and megapixels are gold. The K100D has been the most talked about Pentax DSLR (probably ever) but it will soon be forgotten now that Canon has a new Rebel.

I believe that all current DSLR makers are producing great cameras. I do not slavishly adhere to the Pentax name out of some misguided sense of loyalty. I just think they build the best cameras for me. Konica/Minolta was second on my list with Olympus at third, Nikon next and Canon way down the list. Maybe I was reading the list upside down according to the majority vote but I had my reasons, many of which I have expressed here. But I have never put down any DSLR camera brand to a perspective buyer, they are all good. That is why Pentax must produce a remarkable product in order to sell at that price "out there", in here we will rejoice and many of us will purchase. Well enough soapboxing.

Forgive me this indulgence, sometimes you just have to vent a little, and stay away from the "What Camera Should I Buy?" forum, way too upsetting.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:28 PM   #18

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Forgive me this indulgence, sometimes you just have to vent a little, and stay away from the "What Camera Should I Buy?" forum, way too upsetting.

Ira
exactly, do your research..
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:08 AM   #19
TDN

Quote:
With the new Canon actually coming in $100 less than the old one and offering more for the price, this Pentax better be very good to charge this price.
Did you see the pics of it on dpreview? The new Rebel XTi doesn't have an LCD screen anymore :shock:

This is one of the reasons that kept me from looking for a 350D when I didnt have the Pentax yet, because the LCD screen wasnt on top of the camera, where it should be. Apparantly it's disappeared completely now...

I mean, I'm all for compactness, but there's a limit to how far you can go. The Nikon D50 feels a little "bulkier" than my DL, but I have to admit that I did not dislike that...(I shot a few pics with a D50 from a friend of mine)

Eventually, that is what's going to diminish the success of the Rebel series from Canon I think. They're starting to trade compactness for essential stuff.

Look, fact is every camera has its flaws. It's just a matter of finding one you like, one that feels right for you.
I got into Pentax by sheer luck, as I could pick up a DL for a great deal, but I never regretted it a single day so far
When I was scouting the internet my doubts were between the DL and the D50, and I was looking on 2nd hand sites for both. (luckily) the Pentax came out first

I'm still looking forward to the K10D...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:09 AM   #20

TDN wrote:
Quote:
I'm still looking forward to the K10D...
Today I've spent quite a lot of time reading one Russian forum. There are two guys there who were able to handle K10D personally. They did not tell any specific details about camera because they are not allowed.

According to one of them, this camera made his jaw open. He claims that if everything what was on that sample camera will find a way into production model, K10D will be real "dream camera".

Another guy says that K10D will not offer any unique features, however everything what you can find in other maker cameras of the same class (and even higher) is in K10D and most of things are implemented better than in competing products.

However one guy said that there's one big flaw in camera and that flaw can be very unpleasant if not critical for some.

Official announcment in Russia will be on 12th of September.

Well, such are rumours from Russia.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote