Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:59 AM   #1

I am not a big advocate of more MP. In fact I have seen some cameras having lower image quality because of more MP (more noise etc.). However marketing is a big issue, a company that cannot sell its product will not survive. Those of us with lots of photographic experience are probably quite happy with 6MP because we are getting images as good as we got with 35mm, up to about 16"X20" (which many would argue was a stretch for 35mm as well). And the high ISO shots leave most film in the dust.

BUT... New users have it ingrained in them that they always NEED more megapixels, that is why the p&s market is booming, people upgrade every time another 2 is added to the MP count. For this reason Pentax/Samsung needs to get a good 10MP camera out soon. Keep the AA batteries, keep the SD cards, keep the SR, put back the DS pentaprism (if it doesn't cost too much)and make sure the sensor is very low noise up to ISO 1600. A larger internal buffer for longer bursts would be nice but not essential. Well there is my wish list. (and BTW I am also not a "camera as Jewelry" kind of guy, so I will buy Pentax or Samsung, whichever is cheaper or available...although after 28 years I am partial to Pentax).

Hope you don't see this post as a waste of time, I just wanted to put things in perspective. I would buy a K100D tomorrow if I could afford it, and since we do some weddings and other small jobs, I will be purchasing a second K-mount dSLR before next summer for my wife Annette. Will it be a K100D or will Pentax come up with something more interesting by then? Time will tell.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:11 AM   #2
TDN

In a little less than a month you'll have the answer to that, with the release of the K10D in september at photokina
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:26 AM   #3

Pentax definitely needs to get more MP out. While 6MP would be enough for most, here are some reasons I can think of why more would be nice for a hobbyist:

1. Cropping – it does not take much to get down to 3 or 4MP with the current 6MP images. This could be some cheap "digital zoom". Imagine using a sharp 50mm lens and getting a 6MP crop out of a 12 MP or more. Wouldn't be almost the same as getting a 6MP from a more expensive 77mm lens?

2. Cashing-in – the more pixels you have the more money one could make from eventually selling the photos (microstocks etc). Or at least getting the same and not less than everyone else gets.

3. Keeping with the Jones – You got 6 MP? My daughter's cell phone can get that much already :-)

Seriously, I think that more MP should not mean lower noise. I read about how invariably more MP on the same sensor size means more noise. I just don't fully buy it. We are not there yet before having to go full size.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:46 AM   #4

Apparently there is talk about the K10D being pitched above the D70 and D80, I heard today that the K10D could be pitched at the D200, big call, but you never know.

K1D will be pitched at the D1 level, now that will be interesting.

One of my contacts has ordered a K10D and is selling K100's rather fast. Seems the K100 is outperforming all expectations, hopefully the K10D will continue the trend of a strong PENTAX comeback.

Can't wait to see what the Samsung 10.2MP sensor will perform like. Not long now. If it is as good a performer as the k100 then I WILL be buying one.

I heard the prices are going to be at or about the D200's price range, so here is Oz it will be about $2200-$2500Aus.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:01 AM   #5

10mp is just a couple hundred pixels in each direction added to the aps-c sensor. the P&Ss did faily good until they hit about 6mp, then the noise started. what i'd like is a DS with a low noise 10mp sensor and AS. they can take off all the shooting modes except Av, Tv, M, and P, that would be fine with me.. a stronger flash. my fuji s7000 is good to 27', 9m.. same size package. i would also like iso 100 or 50.. if the k10 is 2000usd i'll have to pass and wait for a less expensive model.

roy
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:41 AM   #6

I'm with you Roy

robar wrote:
Quote:
10mp is just a couple hundred pixels in each direction added to the aps-c sensor. the P&Ss did faily good until they hit about 6mp, then the noise started. what i'd like is a DS with a low noise 10mp sensor and AS. they can take off all the shooting modes except Av, Tv, M, and P, that would be fine with me.. a stronger flash. my fuji s7000 is good to 27', 9m.. same size package. i would also like iso 100 or 50.. if the k10 is 2000usd i'll have to pass and wait for a less expensive model.

roy
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:51 AM   #7

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I'm with you Roy

robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
Add me to that list as well, Roy's description pretty much matches my wish list.

Ira
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:04 PM   #8

I'm not going to say that I won't upgrade to a 10 mp camera - I said that with the K100D vs. DS and then ended up buying one. I really love the SR in the K100D and don't regret getting it. So at the moment, I have no intention of upgrading again. I'm one of those who thinks 6 mp is fine for my purposes (I was perfectly happy with the 5 mp F717 until it developed problems). However, I strongly disliked the Panny FZ30 and it's 8 mp pictures. There is more to the MP/sensor size issue than just noise - the Panny's dynamic range was much more limited than the Sony's capabilities. That's why I wouldn't buy the 10mp camera based onthe samesized sensor as the K100D,before seeing some professional reviews.

I have a very vague memory (6 months, a year ago?)of one of the sensor manufacturers coming up with a new type of sensor. I thought it was Samsung, but could be way off on that. And I don't remember enough of the article, but the impression I got was they could stack the individual sensors vertically (i.e., in 3D)somehow, so that a spot could have more sensors (i.e., different colored sensors) without having to make them smaller, like they doto fit morein 2D with the same sized sensor (don't know if I've done a very good job explaining it, since I'm not sure I remember the article correctly anway). Does anyone else remember reading something like that? Or do I have an over-active imagination?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:10 PM   #9

mtngal

Could it be the Foveon chip which has colour layers like film? With the Foveon every photosite has three sensors that can detect the three different colours (instead of the Bayer pattern of two greens a red an a blue filter for every group of four photosites? Sigma used the Foveon in their dSLRs and someone now has one in a p&s camera I believe.

Ira
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:26 PM   #10

That sounds like what I remember - if it were in layers it would explain why I was thinking in 3D terms. Didn't realize that anyone had made a camera with it (and didn't realize that Sigma made dSLRs).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote