Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:30 AM   #11

yes i see that. very good observation. ill keep that in mind next time i shoot.
thanks!
gfurm wrote:
Quote:
for a better look I'd remove the grass blades in front of blade with droplets and shoot it parallel to the blade with droplets to have them all in focus. I find this blades in foreground a bit distracting.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:13 AM   #12

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Besides getting a dedicated macro lens any suggestions
Besides the good advices already given by Mr Macro Champion himself and others I'd say that getting a dedicated lens isa first stepif you want to be serious about macro shooting, even if you can get quite far with extension rings and an ordinary 50 mm.

Unlike Roy, I avoid using a flash (too complicated for my pea brain). I use a tripod instead, or hold the camera steady against a wall or tree trunk or something like that.

Kjell

SMC-M 100 mm Macro f4 and extension rings, camera held against the wall. The short DOF is intentional:
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:37 AM   #13

dms25 wrote:
Quote:
Roy

Quick question about your off camera flash set up if I may. As you will have guessed I need something other that the onboard to go go with the vivitar 105. To that end I've been looking at the two sigma guns that will be suitable to go with the DL2. My question quite simply is what are you using to connect the flash unit to the camera when it is off camera?

Dom
dom,
what i have is a F5PL cord and 2 F(hotshoe) adapters. 1 adapter goes on the cam's hotshoe, the other on the flash. the one on the flash has a tripod hole on it. B&H lists these for 108usd last time i checked. my understanding is that promaster has a cord for 50usd. on their site, ask ''dr. flash'' if this will work with your DL in P-TTL. here's my rig with the pentax af400ftz.
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:08 AM   #14

Thanks for that Roy, very helpful.

Dom
dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:02 PM   #15

my 3 cents (which will apply mostly if you prefer natural light);

1,use a tripod. (imho this could also be no.'s 2 and 3 as well.)

2,use the mirror lockup (esp. if you end up getting a long macro)(i'm actually not sure the k100d has this? on the dl it functions when you use the 2 sec. delay).

3,learn to use the dof preview (it takes some getting used to esp at smaller aps.)

do you have close-up filters? they're one of the cheapest ways to go macro with the kit lens (or any similar aperture-ring-less lens). you won't get the quality of a real macro but it's a good start.

i am almost never satisfied with my hand-held macros (which gives mea lot ofrespect for somebody like roy!) i continue to try, but often end up usingthose shotsjust to decide which subjects/angles/locations to return to and do with a tripod.

i've been intrigued by the possibillities for hand holding with the k100d, but if (for instance) you're shooting flowers under the trees in the evening or under that nice diffused thin overcast sky at f/18 or 22 i don't think even 3 stops will be enough to keep'em sharp.

all the best, eric

ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:28 PM   #16

i have never used a tripod for any macro.. that's why i use the flash almost exclusively. if it's bright enough i'll shoot 5 pic bursts..
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:44 PM   #17

forgot i had these online. view them at true size.

www.texasbostons.com/ant.jpg
www.texasbostons.com/fly.jpg
www.texasbostons.com/dfly.jpg
Old Aug 26, 2006, 3:37 PM   #18

Ok, my two cents worth now! lol!

Close up filters are a great starting point in my opinion, on ebay you can buy a set of four comprising +1, +2, +4 and +10, you can add more than one filter but will lose quality and detail so I only ever use one at a time. Not used them since having my extensio tubes though. Ext tubes are good as there is no additional glass to reduce quality, you do have to watch the lighting though as they tend to make it darker.

I never use flash unless it's the only way to light the subject sufficiently. I haven't used a tripod for any of my macros either, thought about it but find it easier to just do it all handheld.

They key is practice and lots of it, it's often recommended to do an indoor test on a small coin or something else that won't move, just to get the feeling of it all and of course, as it's not going to run away, you can try so many different things at once.

Hope this is helpful.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote