Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:31 AM   #1
TDN

My Tamron 28-200mm XR I got from ebay for 110$ came in today. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait till monday to recieve it.

You see I got a little surprise as the man from UPS came to my door. Completely out of the blue (for me at least) I had to pay an extra 50$ (!). All import duty and taxes (It came from Canada).
So on top of the already expensive shipping cost (35 $) I now have to add some more, so my lens becomes a "bargain" of 160$...it better be good...

Moral of the story: I will keep my future purchases inside the European Union, to avoid import duties. (I never had them when I ordered stuff from the UK)

So to everyone who's planning to buy a lens from worldwide auctions, keep in mind that there will be a pretty high extra price tag to it... I was negligent enough to not look that up, next time I will.

Now I won't be able to play with my new lens till monday, boy have I learned my lesson

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:32 AM   #2

Hi TDN,

I'm not sure how it works when one purchases items from overseas and has them imported in Europe, but can shed some light on purchasing cross-border using UPS. In general, it's a bad idea.

I know that shipping between Canada and the US using UPS is a royal pain. It's not so much the duties as it is "brokerage fees" that UPS tacks on. In many cases there's no duty (due to the North American Free Trade Agreement - NAFTA) just really high surcharges added on by UPS.

I'd try to get a breakdown of the bill. I've found that for shipping between Canada and the US, Canada Post and United States Postal Service don't add on any ridiculous fees, and presumably you'd only have to pay the actual duties.
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:56 AM   #3

I can second that about using UPS ... don't ... the brokerages are a real rip off in my opinion ... stick to Parcel post between Canada and the US ... sometimes Canada Post collectsduty and on incoming shipments and some times not ... seems to be somewhat random. But ALWAYS less expensive than UPS and not much of a time difference for delivery either.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:07 AM   #4

TDN, your package came from outside the EU and that's why you were charged import duties.

Canadians often have to face this when ordering from the States (mostly). Lenses and Camera equipment (and many others) don't have Customs tax BUT are subject to GST (General Sales Tax) aka VAT if they're over I think $25 or 50$ and that's including the postage. So Canada Post will charge the GST and a $5 service charge.

In your case make sure to check the HS Code for the lense used/new and there is always a way to appeal and also check to see how much you are allowed to import for personal use there IS a certain amount.

These are calculations I make whenever I order something over the net.

One other I use if the shipping is a real killer, I ask a friend in the States to order for me and she will then mail it to me - sometimes it is a hell of a lot cheaper.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:35 PM   #5
TDN

Yes, we have that tax over here too, it's called BTW in Belgium and it's always 21% of the purchase.

I can understand that, but my lens cost me 85 euros, INCLUDING SHIPPING. And UPS wants to charge me 42 euros...thats 49%!

And even so, the bill said that I payed 74 canadian dollars already, while I payed a whole lot more, the 35 $ shipping.
So added to that I get an additional 50$...

I am going to let the seller know about this, because that seems like a whole lot to me...

TDN
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:27 PM   #6

What's the seller got to do with it? Hell, $35 for UPS seems reasonable - I've paid that for postage within Canada.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:34 PM   #7
TDN

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
What's the seller got to do with it? Hell, $35 for UPS seems reasonable - I've paid that for postage within Canada.
Well since that ebay shop has had more than 44000 customers, I would guess that I'm not the only one who has this problem.
buyers about the fees.

I contacted him, politely, and made a suggestion that they look into different postage for outside Canada, for future customers. They replied correctly and said they are already looking into it. (I'm not the first one)

Whats done is done, it isnt a drama, I just hope the lens is good.

TDN

P.S.: idd, 35$ IS reasonable, that's why I went for it.If I had known it would become 85$, I wouldn't have done it.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:48 PM   #8

Here is Australia we had a 21% sales atx on everything, thenthe govt gofd rid of Sales Tax and put a 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax).

Sounds goood at first, but then you realise yo are paying tax on the service not just the goods. i.e labor charges are taxed :shock:

Anyways backon topic, luckily my two favourite pastimes, motorcycles and cameras are NOT subject to import duty if under $1000AUS, so all my camera purchases and bike parts are import duty free.

BUT, UPS sucks, got stung by them last time, now I order on eBay and ALWAYS select USPS and not UPS for my postage preference.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote