Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:35 AM   #1

Hi All,

First of all - I am not a skilled (d)SLR user, so my question might sound very stupid.

I have purchased Pentax-A 50mm F:1.7 to play with for ~$37 +S&H on ebay from somebody who is probably not a professional photoequipment seller. So I was not expecting to have any reasonable description of lens' condition from that seller.

The package was just delivered, all items listed are in place - but how should check if lenses have a mold ? I mean - I never ever saw the ones with it before... I can't see anything that will be obvious to my eyes as a mold and the lenses in question don't smell like a mold either... how do you guys decide if lenses have that mold, what and where should I look for it... is it white, grey, green or black - where it is growing ?

Thank you for your time.

deejjjaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:01 PM   #2

Put the Av ring at 1.7 and hold the lens up to a light.
Small specks are dust, white spidery stuff is fungus, black spores are mildew.
Dust happens, mildew occurs in high moisture or getting it wet. Fungus comes from high humidity and darkness, Fungus can etch the glass and it's very expensive to repair.

Dana
thazooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:04 AM   #3

Dee welcome to the forum - that's an excellent question.

Dana thanks for the answer. You have described what I have and wasn't sure of. I wish I knew this before so I could better taken care of my lenses. Are you listening people!

Roy has made a recommendation of how to try to get rid of the fungus how ever the fact that fungus can etch a glass does not make me happy.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:24 AM   #4

Perhaps someone with the knowledge should start a thread on how to properly store lenses to avoid fungus and mildew? If high humidity and darkness allows it to form, should I be putting desicant(sp?) in my camera case? Perhaps piut them in the sun as described before it starts to kill anything before it can take hold? lens caps might keep the dust out, but it seems they also might help fungus to form?
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Roy has made a recommendation of how to try to get rid of the fungus
Where did "Roy" post that recommendation ? Can you give me a link ?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:40 AM   #6

Quote:
black spores are mildew.
well, I probably can see some very-very small black dots close to the edge of the glass - if those are spores then is there a way to ged rid of them (may be to leave lenses under the sunlight for a day so that UV light will kill them) and is it dangerous to put lenses on camera w/ those spores in place ?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:51 AM   #7

btw, I have found a nice picture of fungus on lenses

Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:42 PM   #9

Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps someone with the knowledge should start a thread on how to properly store lenses to avoid fungus and mildew? If high humidity and darkness allows it to form, should I be putting desicant(sp?) in my camera case? Perhaps piut them in the sun as described before it starts to kill anything before it can take hold? lens caps might keep the dust out, but it seems they also might help fungus to form?

Here's what I do, I live in the deep south usa. Humidity ranges from 30- 60%.
All gear is packed with Silica Gel packs. When not shooting regularly I put the gear in a Pelican case with the same packs. You need to remember to dry the silica gel packs out in an oven. I do mine every other month or so. My Pentax gear has never had a problem.

I've read on other forums that keeping the lens in a window case works, also folks have special cabinets will humidity controls.

I did have a case of Fungus on my Rollei 3.5e, I sent it to Colorado for repair, Polish and Recoat, cost $300, us for the single lens. Silica Gel is cheap insurance :-)

Dana
thazooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the links and lens shot. All interesting and all read and memorised, now that I've had to deal with the problem. I had never read about this problem until quite recently.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote