Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:11 PM   #1

I finally took out my old lenses today to clean 'em up but it looks like I need more than that - I need your help.

I have an SMC 45-125 zoom and the ME kit 55mm and I think they have what people always talk about - fungus.

What do I do? Are they lost for ever, do I take them apart - I've never fooled around with a lense before.

HELP! I am so depressed.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:44 PM   #2

to kill any thats alive. set them in the sun standing up on the fronts on the shiny side of aluminum foil. guess a mirror would work as well. set them out there for about 4 hours, say 10-3.. the UV from the sun will kill anything alive in it.. i've seen this clean up a couple of lenses. it does not fix the damage done..

jc, you can replace both of those lenses on ebay for under 100usd.. good luck.

roy
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:22 AM   #3

Thanks Roy. Couldn't sleep last night. Hope your suggestion clears-up the inside of these lenses and that the sun will co-operate.

Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:44 AM   #4

You must be suffering a splitting headache, stay out of that sun!:lol:

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:39 PM   #5

I'm not one to stay out of the sun - especially with winta coming up. Anyway, did like Roy suggested and put the lenses in the sun - whatever sun there was in a hazy day and there didn't seem to be any differences. Will try again on the first sunny day, if that does get here.

BUT, I ain't one to give up easily and tried both lenses and the stuff cannot be seen from the viewfinder nor the monitor. I'll post a couple tomorrow or monday but this i cannot understand - how can it NOT show up on the picture???

I know, you can't comment until you see the pictures so, stay tuned. Thanks for your support people.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:58 PM   #6

nlp239

Do the sun thing again, as Roy said it should kill the fungus but it will not repair the damage. But, unless the damage is so great that you notice a lack of sharpness in your pictures I wouldn't worry about it. I have a 28mm f2.8 SMC M lens with an extremely damaged rear element (like someone sandpapered it), it actually produces acceptable images (though somewhat soft, more like a soft focus effect). I don't regularly use it but the amazing quality of the images from this "junk" lens keeps me from tossing it.

Judge by your results.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:46 PM   #7

as ira says, it really does take a lot of damage for it to affect the image. what you want to do is kill anything active.. try , maybe proping the lens toward the sun with a toothpick. i know the sun is low up there in yankee land..

roy
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:59 PM   #8

The fungus will slowly digest the glass as it eats it. I had a nice lesson on this the other day.

Basically the fungus produces an enzyme that disolves the glass and the fungus eats it.

If the fungus is killed pretty quickly then the glass CAN be cleaned with no ill effect.

If left longer then the erosion of the glass is more deeper and no amount of cleaning will get it out.

So kill the fungus now!!!!
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:16 AM   #9

Yankeeland-LOL-first time I heard Canada being refered to as such but I know we're a bunch of bleeding-heart liberals.

Anyway, I'm linking to several images which have NOT been touched in any way but renamed. They ARE original size of 1.x Mb so be warned. If they're too big let me know and I'll resize, I just want to show the effect. I'll resize them at a later stale date of the thread.

These were taken with the 50mm:
Picture 1; Picture 2; Picture 3; Picture 4; Picture 5; Picture 6; Picture 7 and finally Picture 8

These were taken with the 45-125 Zoom:
Picture1; Picture 2; Picture 3 and Picture 4

I don't think there's anything there to indicate fungus although I CAN see it in the lens. What does show is my age and the unsteadiness that goes with it.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:33 PM   #10

jc,
without a before it's kind of hard to tell anything. 2 of my older M series has just tinge of mold in them and i can't tell any difference