Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:36 AM   #11

As usual, your photos are awesome. Really. And I respect anyone who can get that close to bees and yellow jackets (I think one of them was one).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:54 AM   #12

love that last shot. seeing all of your amazing photos is pushing me to get the sigma 70-300 macro as my first lens after the kit.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:05 AM   #13

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Allison, I crown thee the Duchess of Macros! Simply beautiful work. Jay
I also second that!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:20 AM   #14

Thanks guys for the lovely comments. I only discovered macro photography the year before last when I had my Minolta z1, then I upgraded to the z5 but nothing was going to come close to a dslr so this year is when I bought the DL2. Since owning this camera, my shots have improved and of course, being able to add different lenses is a big plus. So is focusing manuallya big plus. On the other cameras, you could manually focus but it was done by pressing a button and waiting for ages for the camera to catch up, at least this way, it's on the lens and is as fast or as slow as the operater.

Using the Sigma with the extension tubes means I don't have to get overly close to the bugs, in fact, some of them I could actually do with being able to move in closer but can't! lol!

I would definitely recommend the sigma 70-300, it's the first lens for me after the kit lens and it rarely comes off the camera now. I don't think it's macro setting alone is brilliant, it's ok but with add ons like extension tubes and possibly diopters (not got any the right size to try) it can make such a big difference to the shot.

I've seen a +10 diopter on ebay and according to the seller, it retains sharpness and detail throughout magnification so am thinking of asking my mum to get it for my birthday, though using it with the sigma might prove difficult as it will magnify quite alot, making camera shake etc an even bigger problem, I can try though! lol!

Anyway, sorry to have rambled on, thanks again for your lovely comments.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:27 AM   #15

very nice shots anv very sharp.

when using extension tubes does it allow you to focus closer like fith diopters? or just magnify subject without affecting focus distance? and wahat focal lenght ans shutter speed did you use? when I try to shoot with my vivitar 70-210 and +3 diopter ant 210mm most of my shots come out blurred due to camera shake.

thanks
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:13 PM   #16

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
very nice shots anv very sharp.

when using extension tubes does it allow you to focus closer like fith diopters? or just magnify subject without affecting focus distance? and wahat focal lenght ans shutter speed did you use? when I try to shoot with my vivitar 70-210 and +3 diopter ant 210mm most of my shots come out blurred due to camera shake.

thanks
As I use my extension tubes with my 300mm lens at the moment, it actually allows me to get a closer shot without actually having to get myself so close that they fly off. I find I have actually gained more distance between me and the subject without it becoming so tiny in the frame that it's lost.

I think the diopters are harder because you have to move closer to the subject which does tend to make things alot harder with a) insects flying off and b) camera shake.

I can't remember the focal lengths and shutter speeds myself but if you save the pic/s to your pc and open them in an editing software, you should be able to read the exif information. (cept on the last lot, I've managed to lose the information somehow).

Hope this helps.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote