Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:20 PM   #1

I know it has been posted before, but I have TC which is, to be honest, pretty crap.

I read somewhere on here about removing the glass and using it as a tube with all the aperature settings still there.

Could someone remind me what to do - Do I take the TC apart, or just use hammer and chisel to break the glass?

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:48 PM   #2

You'll have to take all of the glass out of it. Most lens un screw with a spanner wrench. Once removed it can be used as an ext. tube. Hammer and chisel are not an option :-)

Dana
thazooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:00 PM   #3

I did this to a Takumar-A 2X converter unit just a little while ago. As Dana said the correct tools help, just two points.

1) At first I removed the entire tube holding the lenses, thought this was great, just put it back if I want to later, didn't work out since one of the springs which located the aperture control was now free to move across the opening.

2) With a great deal of care (and a healthy respect for your own safety) you can coax these apart with a sharp tipped knife in the tiny slots used by the correst lens spanner (wrench). I used a curved tip steak knife to remove mine. Since I removed the lenses from the tube reassembly is near impossible. I screwed the tube back into the main body and now I have a very effective auto-aperture extension tube of about 26mm. With the 70-210mm Pentax-A zoom I have an auto exposure, manual focus set up that will get near macro results (there is no substitute for a real macro lens, and extension tube sets usually offer far more than the 26mm my rig does.

Sorry, it occurred to me after the fact that I should have done a little photo essay showing how it was done, in future I will try to do that whenever I come up with a new DIY project.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:39 AM   #4

My TC was a manual one, just the lever to open the aperture. I tried to take it apart and couldn't get some of the screws out, so I took a hammer and screwdriver to it. It worked, and it gave me a big respect for just how tough lens glass really is.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 3:41 AM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
My TC was a manual one, just the lever to open the aperture. I tried to take it apart and couldn't get some of the screws out, so I took a hammer and screwdriver to it. It worked, and it gave me a big respect for just how tough lens glass really is.
Thanks - I knew someone had used the "big persuader" before.

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:48 AM   #6

BUT, don't you think you could bend the tube if you do use a the persuader or his brother sledge???

I'd go for the recommended way.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:33 AM   #7

thazooo wrote:
Quote:
Hammer and chisel are not an option :-)

Dana
it was for me.. i told harriet how to do this. ira got lucky..
a small hammer and chisel or screwdriver does wonders.. hehe
just make sure you get all the bits and dust out..

roy