Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:21 PM   #21

Wonderful pictures. Ihave alwaysto visit Europe someday, now I want to even more.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:26 AM   #22

I really like the first three. Very sharp and great lighting. Keep posting I like good architecture shots!
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:37 AM   #23

Sorry..That answer didn't help.

Yes I undertsand HDR means - High Dynamic Range

But how do you do a 3 image HDR image.

What do you do, take one shot under exposed,one normal and one overexposed and blend them in photoshop???

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:51 AM   #24

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Sorry..That answer didn't help.

Yes I undertsand HDR means - High Dynamic Range

But how do you do a 3 image HDR image.

What do you do, take one shot under exposed,one normal and one overexposed and blend them in photoshop???

Crash
Correct me if I am wrong but does it go something like this:

1- shoot in RAW, meter for the mid tones.

2- process for the highlights (one layer of final)

3- process original again this time for shadow detail (2nd layer)

4- if necessary use the mid tone image as layer3.

Now through a series of masking and opacity adjustments you get a much higher dynamic range from just one RAW file.

If you shoot jpeg you may have to get a tripod and take three discreet shots to get the same range.

OK HogRider, am I even close?

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:57 AM   #25

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but does it go something like this:

1- shoot in RAW, meter for the mid tones.

2- process for the highlights (one layer of final)

3- process original again this time for shadow detail (2nd layer)

4- if necessary use the mid tone image as layer3.

Now through a series of masking and opacity adjustments you get a much higher dynamic range from just one RAW file.

If you shoot jpeg you may have to get a tripod and take three discreet shots to get the same range.

OK HogRider, am I even close?

Ira

First of all my technical understanding of HDR is very limited. I cannot explain
the technical aspect of it and I am not a Photo shop expert either. Rarely ever do I use layers and so on. My PS usage is pretty much limited to Unsharp Mask, Brightness and Contrast, the Clone Brush ( to remove unruly people and pesky Street signs- LOL),Cropping Tool, and thenSignature and Frame.

All I know is, that there are 2 types of HDR images. Real ones and fake ones. I tried both.

A fake HDR is made from 1 shot and then you make three images out of it. Either during RAW conversion
or in Photo Shop, as long as they look like 1 step under, normal and 1 step over exposed.
Then you blend them together in a program called Photo Matrix, or Ulead Photo Impact. Adobe Photo shop CS can do it too, but I don't have that. The advantage here is, that since it is the same image, you don't have to worry about things lining up. The big disadvantage is, that your dynamic range is very limited. For example: If you have a dark area in your image and the sensor didn't record any details, then there is not details. No photo software can bring out details if they aren't there. All it does will make it lighter and usually noisier.
You can almost get the same photo effect, by extensively playing with curves and levels etc.

A real HDR is always made from 2 or 3 or even more differently exposed images. I usually do them in the 3 shot burst mode (bracketed 1 or 1.5 steps apart). The biggest problem is that the images have to be the same. People walking in, cars moving or even leaves or grass moving in the wind can ruin everything. And of course you would normally have to use a sturdy tripod also, because camera movement is the worts to correct.

I got really lucky to get a few usable HDRs on that trip, since they were all hand held. I think I might have been able to use 1 out of 5 attempts. All were shot in JPG to save card space.

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:32 PM   #26

What HDR software did you use to get those great photos? Thanks
whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:45 PM   #27

Excellent photos!! And beautiful architecture!! And the Pentax Kit lens continue to amaze me Its very sharp and wonderful!! Actually it came second in a magazine test here in Sweden!!I also used it when I was in Minsk in may this year, please check out:http://web.comhem.se/~u47040411/travelAll photos taken in raw with minimal pp.carl
carlsandlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:49 PM   #28

Welcome Calle, including you and me we are now TWO Swedes active in this forum!

But... your link didn't work, can you check it again?

Kjell

Edit: I worked around it a bit and found a sneak in backdoor to your travel page. Minsk looks like an interesting place. I guess you didn't go there for holidays, due to the present political and economic situation.
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:55 PM   #29

whbroker wrote:
Quote:
What HDR software did you use to get those great photos? Thanks
I use a program called Photomatrix and also Ulead PhotoImpact. HDRsoft offers a Freeware version for basic blending. ThePro Versionhas a feature called "Tonemapping". Looks great on some images but can look awful when overdone.

Here is a link: http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:09 AM   #30

Someone else who uses PI!
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote