Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:32 AM   #1

Hi all. I just came back from a 2 week trip to Austria. The weather was dark and rainy most of the time, which gave some interesting light for architectural and details, but very poor light for landscape photography.

All pictures are were taken with the DL and kit lens. Some are more or less sharpened in post processing. Some are High Dynamic range Images blended from 2 or 3 Images. All picturres were taken hand hand.

Also, got caught in the middle of that big mess with the terror alert in London, but was able to catch another flight and avoid London Heathrow completely. Nevertheless I was not allowed to bring Camera, lenses or Flash cards into the cabin. (Wallet, cash, credit card documents only) Everything had to be in the checked luggage. Luckily the gear survived without damage. Tough Pentax gear ;-)

St. Charles's Church (Karlskirche) Vienna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlskirche

Göttweig Abbey Church

Reflections

Small Storfront in "Downtown" Dürnstein in the Wachau
1/45 sec | f9.5 | 20.0mm | ISO-400 |

Village center in a place called "Rust"
1/250 sec | f8.0 | 28.0mm | ISO-200 |

A few more later on, if anyone is interested.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:37 AM   #2

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
With the quality of these already posted? - just keep posting! More than welcome!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:04 PM   #3

They are great pict from a very photogenic nation and a capable photographer too. Unbelievably beautiful. I am speechless too as I had the kit lens and I could never manage that type of quality you have there. I can console myself that my copy was probably a sub-standard one. There were vague report that the q c of Pentax lens has improved a lot after the initialrun-in period their factory in Vietnam.
Congrat.

Daniel

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Hi all. I just came back from a 2 week trip to Austria. The weather was dark and rainy most of the time, which gave some interesting light for architectural and details, but very poor light for landscape photography.

All pictures are were taken with the DL and kit lens. Some are more or less sharpened in post processing. Some are High Dynamic range Images blended from 2 or 3 Images. All picturres were taken hand hand.

Also, got caught in the middle of that big mess with the terror alert in London, but was able to catch another flight and avoid London Heathrow completely. Nevertheless I was not allowed to bring Camera, lenses or Flash cards into the cabin. (Wallet, cash, credit card documents only) Everything had to be in the checked luggage. Luckily the gear survived without damage. Tough Pentax gear ;-)

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:08 PM   #4

Wow, these are fantastic, nice and sharp, beautiful colours and great composition.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5

Nice and sharp, much sharper than my kit lens produces. Those are great shots that possibly would not have had as much detail if the sun had been shining full force.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:40 PM   #6

I would have to agree with Tom, had the sun been out shadows would have had an effect on the results. They're excellent shots and much more than the "Tourist" shot.

Several Qs:
1. Why so few people - what time did you shoot
2. The reflection shot - any reason why you chose to compose so much to the left/right of center - are those port-a-johns on the right
3. The center square - is that a nest on top of the chimneys
4. Are buildings in Vienna all so white

Thanks for sharing your experience and for posting.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:19 PM   #7

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
I would have to agree with Tom, had the sun been out shadows would have had an effect on the results. They're excellent shots and much more than the "Tourist" shot.

Several Qs:
1. Why so few people - what time did you shoot
2. The reflection shot - any reason why you chose to compose so much to the left/right of center - are those port-a-johns on the right
3. The center square - is that a nest on top of the chimneys
4. Are buildings in Vienna all so white

Thanks for sharing your experience and for posting.

There was a larger group of people in front of the Church, who fell victim to the clone stamp :-)in Paint Shop Pro.

I am not sure what those things were, but it is possible those are port-a-johns. I didn't walk over there. I didn't center the shot because I always like to do things off center - just a habit. And I think the area on the left wasn't very photogenic anyway.

Yes those are African Stork nests, they come to this town to spent the summer. It is famous for that. http://www.holidaycityflash.com/aust...orks_rust1.htm

A lot of the older buildings in Vienna are grey or white. I guess a lot of older cities have that look.

Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:26 PM   #8

A couple more:

Candles inside St.Stephan's Cathedral. Nice to have usable ISO 1600

1/30 sec | f3.5 | 18.0mm | ISO-1600 |

Walkway

Wooden bridge leading into the Castle of Forchtenstein
1/250 sec | f8.0 | 18.0mm | ISO-200 |
http://europeforvisitors.com/switzau...burgenland.htm

Another Winery
1/350 sec | f8.0 | 28.0mm | ISO-200 |

Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:35 PM   #9

Great photos!! I have been to Austria five times and this brought back fond memories. Which ones were the HDR photos? Great job!
whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:39 PM   #10

whbroker wrote:
Quote:
Great photos!! I have been to Austria five times and this brought back fond memories. Which ones were the HDR photos? Great job!

Thanks. The the 1st, 2nd and 3rd are all 2 or 3 exposure HDRs. Alsothe yellow Walkway.