Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:25 PM   #1

Hi To All:

I own a *ist DL2 and would like to get into AstroPhotography.Since long exposures will be used I need to get a Shutter release cable. The one from Pentax is about $50 Canadian ,just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative out there.

Many thanks Ross
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:39 PM   #2

Absolutely

Read here

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Just a word of advice, make sure you have a external power supply for the your camera wired up to come in via the ext pwr supply socket on the side of the camera.

You will get about 15mins of shutter open on the camera before your on camera batteries go flat.

When shooting long exposures you camera will do a second image with the shutter shut to look for hot pixels, it then maps them and removes them from your image.

So a 15min exposure will require and extra 15mins whilst it filters out hot pixels, so that will need a power supply to last at least 30 mins.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:22 PM   #3

Hi Crashman:

Thank you for your response.I never thought of the extra time the camera needs after taking the photo to isolate the hot pixels.I guess my exposures will be limited to 5 minutes.Fallowed your link and found a few alternatives to the original shutter cable release from Pentax.

Ross
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:39 PM   #4

It wouldn't take much to rig up a large battery with a simple voltage regulator to keep the voltage around 6volts and put on an adaptor to plug into the side of your camera.

Then you should be able to take 30 mins exp and 30 filtering no worries. I personally haven't been inclined to photograph the heavens, though my brother is seriously into astronomy with a massive scope, but alas he is nowhere near where I live.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:46 AM   #5

I've thought about the heavens but since I am in a city with plenty of lights I can't. I use a modified cell phone head piece and if I put a bulldog clip on it I'm sure it will work.

Good point about the power supply Crash, thanks
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:34 AM   #6

most people that do astro photography do a lot of shorter shots and then stack them to get rid of the noise.
NoelC over at BBR is one of the best i've seen. ck out his gallery

HERE

roy
edit: ck out his ''orion nebula'' 228 images of 20 seconds each..
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:40 AM   #7

Here..

The one I ordered from them specified it was for a Canon EOS Rebel XT, but it is identical to the one above. The price with shipping was less than I would have paid for the materials to make one.

I use mine often with a monopod to minimize shake. The cool thing is that autofocus works with it, though if you're going for prime-focus astrophotography, it won't matter, as your scope does the focusing.
Yog-Sothoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:36 PM   #8

$10usd delivered.. can't beat that. i think i spent about 5 on the one i made..

roy
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:04 PM   #9

Quote:
i think i spent about 5 on the one i made..
I assume you just used a cable from an old cellphone headset to save a few bucks?

Another plus to what I ordered was that it only took three days to receive it.

If I ever need a longer cable than what is included, I can just use a cellphone headset extension cable.
Yog-Sothoth is offline   Reply With Quote