Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:00 PM   #1

Hi,

I popped into a UK branch of jessops at the weekend and had a play with a ist DL2 and was very impressed.

I researched this model on the net and it seems the DS2 was a better buy due to the pentaprism based view finder.

I also read that the new K series may superceed the ist range, with the k100d being a popular choice.

According to the UK pentax site, it seems although the K100D is based on the DS and the k110D is based on the DL, the K100D has a mirror based view finder.

http://www.pentax.co.uk/_uk/photo/pr...=digital%20slr

So does that mean a ist DS2 is superior to the k100D?

Thinking logically, the viewfinder doesnt affect the resultant image but the Anti Shake might well do.

Sowould make the K100D a better choice?

I'm confused.

ist Dl2 = mirror, no A/S....... K110D (based on DL range) = mirror, no A/S

ist DS2 = prism, no A/S ...... k100D ( Based on DS range) = mirror, but A/S

Before they gave the customer the option of a prism based camera but with the new K range, it has gone all together?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Neil
skiv71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:14 PM   #2

pentaprism just makes viewfinder brighter and clearermaybe sharper than pentamirror (plese correct me if I'm wrong). so the viewfinder on K100D might be not as clear as DS but it's still more modern camera. what is viewfinder made of doesn't have any influence on picture quality but appereantly as some members showedSR has.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:16 PM   #3

Hi Neil,

As far as I know, both the K1xxDs are based on the DL withe the only real difference being that the K110D lacks SR.

I currently shoot a DS and have handled DLs, finding the VF very satisfactory. I'm currently waiting to see what the K10D (or whatever it'll be called) has in store, and if, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to meet my needs, I'll instantly go with a K100D for the SR. I'd be sacrificing some shooting speed (smaller buffer), pentaprism (not really that much difference, and I MF a lot), and TTL flash support (I have 3 TTL flashes so it's definitely a factor).

I'd buy the K100D for the SR -- but YMMV.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:50 PM   #4

Scott-

You mentioned some excellent points. However there are IMHO a few other issues, that make the K100D a much better DSLR camera than the DS or even the forth coming K10D.

Yes, the K100D has the SR feature which is a huge step forwad. But it also has a much wider Dynamic Range, a total new .jpg format processer, and much more rapid focus action.

Those additional features make it a very capable DSLR camera indeed. In fact, the K100D is the fast selling DSLR camera that Pentax has ever produced. Now you are probably wondering why I also said that the K100D might even be better than the K10D. Primarily due to the price difference, having a much lower noise signature, and having a viewfinder that exceeds the DS/DS2 models, and that will be no different than the K10D. We will only know all of the details when they are released on September 13th.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:39 PM   #5

I thought the K100D had the same Sony sensor as D,DS etc.. Is that Dynamic Range improvement just a different way of JPG processing or does the sensor have a wider dynamic range? Is there a difference in RAW mode? (Shake reduction aside)

Will
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:51 PM   #6

Just my 2 cents - I have both the DS and the K100D. I don't noice any differenceusing the viewfinders, even though the DS has the pentaprism and the K100D has the pentamirror. To me they are about equal and I can manually focus with both cameras (that's the most important thing for me - I use manual lenses quite often).

I do notice quite a bit of difference between the two with the SR - I posted several comparison shots that ended up showing not much difference between the 2 camera's jpg ability, but did show how much I need the SR (and the pictures hadn't been taken with that in mind) - several of them are posted in a thread here. I haven't taken any comparison shots using raw so I don't have any comment about their capabilities that way (maybe next week).

The K100D doesn't have as much tendency to underexpose shots like the DS tends to do when left to itself (normally not a problem because you have lots of latitude when shooting in raw). I think my K100D is more likely to blow out some highlights if there's a large dynamic range, so I've been shooting with it set to EV -5 under those conditions (the DS is more likely to underexpose so the highlights don't blow out).

I've read speculation that the K100D is using a different sensor, but I don't know if that's true or not. I haven't seen anything official about that.

My final conclusion is that I'm delighted I bought the K100D and it is my main camera right now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:22 PM   #7

I have used a DS and of course my DL. The focus screen in the DS doesn't appear to have much difference in contrast. The information bar is easier to see on the DS however (again having spent most of my time looking through the viewfinder of a K1000 I don't pay that much attention to the data display unless there are issues with the lighting).

I have already started saving for a K100D.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:29 AM   #8

Hi Sarah,

That's why I'll wait to see what's up with the K10D -- There are too many factors to make the decision now -- like the noise thing. If you saw my recent post with the Flickers, you can see that ISO 1600 is useful to me now. If the 10.2 MP sensor makes high ISO less useable because of the qualities of the noise, then it will be a problem for me -- but the SR will help make the difference less, since my bird subjects are, for the most part, stationary objects, and I now need the high shutter speeds mainly because of FL considerations -- so if I can hand-hold my long glass more easily at slower shutter speeds . . . . More Mps should be better for cropping. Hyper Program would be handy indeed. Wireless flash support might be more useful as I learn more about flash. . . a second control wheel would be convenient. and so on. . . I really could care less about a portrait grip and proprietary batteries as I never would use the former, and am not put off by the latter.

I'm obviously open to a K100D as my next body though, but I'd have no qualms about spending the extra money if the features prove worth it for my purposes. It just all depends on the complete package. . . I'd hate tobuy the K100D to find that the K10 meets my long term goals better -- and is just around the corner.

Scott

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Scott-

You mentioned some excellent points. However there are IMHO a few other issues, that make the K100D a much better DSLR camera than the DS or even the forth coming K10D.

Yes, the K100D has the SR feature which is a huge step forwad. But it also has a much wider Dynamic Range, a total new .jpg format processer, and much more rapid focus action.

Those additional features make it a very capable DSLR camera indeed. In fact, the K100D is the fast selling DSLR camera that Pentax has ever produced. Now you are probably wondering why I also said that the K100D might even be better than the K10D. Primarily due to the price difference, having a much lower noise signature, and having a viewfinder that exceeds the DS/DS2 models, and that will be no different than the K10D. We will only know all of the details when they are released on September 13th.

MT/Sarah
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:47 AM   #9

Mtgal/Harriet mentioned what I have been thinking is a possibility. The partnership of Pentax and Samsung has to offer each company some benefits. One of the benefits to Pentax (mentioned in the Pentax Forum on dpreview) was supposed to be access to a new CMOS chip supplier, which in this case would be Samsung.

Scott might be very correct. The improved processer might give the appearance of a better Dynamic Range, rather than the improvement bea function of an improved CMOS imager. We will surely know more:

(a) when we see some professional K100D reviews.

(b) when September 13th comes and we see some of thereal as opposed to guessed, features available on the K10D.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote