Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:09 AM   #1

I'm considering getting a 70-300mm zoom lens. I've been eyeing the
Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300MM F/4-5.6 DL Macro Super Autofocus Lens For Pentax AFwhich seems like a good deal considering I could order it for $123.

Now I notice that there is also this lens:
Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300MM F/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super Autofocus Lens For Pentax...
What is the difference between the two. Is it the APO glass? Any of you guys out there use either of these lens? What are your thoughts and opinions?

I also included in this entry a recent pic of a rose in my front yard. Taken with my K100D 18-55mm kit lens. Tv=1/125, AV=8, Iso=200.

Attached Images

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:14 AM   #2

i had just ordered the sigma 70-300mm dg lens (with apo), and it is still yet to be delivered.. before ordering, i did some research on the lens and most users say that getting apo over the non-apo is a must, if you're willing to go big and spend some more $$ that is.

-b
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:20 AM   #3

I plan on getting the APO version when I have more cash. I've read great reviews for this lens for the price. If I remember correctly, the APO will be sharper overall and have less purple fringing(chromatic abberations) where highlights and dark areas meet because of the special coatings. Hope this helps.

Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:31 AM   #4

How does the Sigma Lens talked about (the APO version) compare with its competition - the Tamron 70-300 and the Promaster 70-300.? The Tamron comes with similar specs and a 6 year warranay. The Promaster is supposed to be made by Tamron and comes with a lifetime warranty. Prices all seem similar. It is hard for me to justify the lens just because of a good/great warranty without knowing anything about performance.

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:44 AM   #5

I have the Tamron but from what I've seen, it is a poor cousin to the Sigma - no comparision. Apples to Oranges - IMO
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:02 AM   #6

Really!

I wonder why? hmmm....yet they charge almost the same as the Sigma APO

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:35 PM   #7

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
I have the Tamron but from what I've seen, it is a poor cousin to the Sigma - no comparision. Apples to Oranges - IMO
Do you think this applies with all Tamron lenses in comparison with Sigma or just that particular one?

Reason I ask is cos I have found two possible choices of lens to buy, one is Sigma and the other is Tamron, Sigma is actually cheaper by around £100.

Will start a new topic with lens details later.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:15 PM   #8

I am a complete noob to photography but I was recently researching lens options for a 300mm zoom. At http://www.fredmiranda.com the Tamron 70-300 F/4-5.6 Macro got an average score of 7.7 from twenty one reviewers, which seems to be pretty decent for that site. Most everyone who posted seemed pretty happy with it for the price. Unfortunately no one has reviewed the equivelant Sigma there.
HTH,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:03 PM   #9

alibunnylady wrote:
Quote:
nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Do you think this applies with all Tamron lenses in comparison with Sigma or just that particular one?

Reason I ask is cos I have found two possible choices of lens to buy, one is Sigma and the other is Tamron, Sigma is actually cheaper by around £100.

Will start a new topic with lens details later.

Alison
Alison, typically it is the opposite, with Tamron holding a slight advantage, but each lens is different. A small number of Pentax FA lenses, such as the 28-200mm, were actually built by Tamron but with Pentax electronics and coatings. I own a Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 and must say it is probably my favourite lens.

Ira

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:35 AM   #10

With my film I had SMC lenses. With digital I went for price rather than quality - if I was to do it again, and if I could afford it, I'd go for the quality not price.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote