Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:04 PM   #11

Unfortunately most of these were jpegs. I have been experimenting with raw and like it, but it means I have to process every image. I take many many shots when I am out. 2GB card! I will check into that software though as now I am using PS Elements 3 and ACR. Thanks
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:12 AM   #12

My "trick" is to do like you - shoot, shoot, shoot - and then only convert and save those worth saving. Usually not that many. When there are many, for some reason, you can always batch convert. In Adobe Bridge it's even easy to batch rename without converting.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:41 PM   #13

My first real attempt at night pictures K100D were the Vegas pictures I posted today. My only attempt at anything after sunset with the DS were a couple of moon pictures I posted when I first got the camera.

A couple of things I learned last night - I just left the camera on auto WB for the most part, and it worked well enough - the Vegas Strip has too many different light sources to try to adjust. I was shooting in manual mode and discovered that the K100D tended to blow out highlights when I shot at the meter's shutter speed. I found that I often got the better results if I set the shutter speed one or 2 clicks faster than the meter said. The nice thing about digital is that you can take the picture, review itimmediately, then adjust accordingly. And there were a couple of times when the over-exposed shots had a slightly different color tint to it than was what the eye perceived, but when I took it with the faster shutter speed, the color was better - didn't figure that one out at all.

In the case of your second one, where you want the detail of the walkway and the lights - think I would have tried two exposures and merged them. While I like how it came out, I could see where you would want the city lights not as bright but the walk-way exposed as it is, and that could be beyond the dynamic range of the sensor. I suppose you could try a Graduated ND filter - experts???
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:06 PM   #14

jon,
i don't think you need to practice.. you've got it nailed!!

roy
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:22 PM   #15

I tweaked the 2nd and 3rd ones yesterday and updated them. Looks like photobucket shrinkidinked them a bit. I think they look better. It appears that on some SD nightshots I got the same reflecting flares as mtngal. I left my UV filter on. When I viewed them on my camera LCD I thought they were stars! Bummer. I wish the camera had more dynamic range, my previous problems with blown highlights(mid day shots). I think I will try the ND filter on mid day and nightshots to see what I get. Thanks for the comments. Jon
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:47 PM   #16

what programs are you using??
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:57 PM   #17

I use photoshop elements 3.01(windows) at home. At work I have Photoshop CS2(Mac). I would like to upgrade to elements 4 but I'd rather spend the money for more lens(LBA). I tested the rawshooter essentials as billybianca suggested, and like it, but will test further. I did try the demo of Lightroom, but it is too slow on my home PC. I did not even take the Pentax software out of the box. Is it worthwhile? No one seems to be using it. If I end up purchasing a new camera (10mp), I'll have to get a new PC too. Give a mouse a cookie....
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:18 PM   #18

with PSE3 i can probably tell you how to increase the range but the shot has to be taken in raw..

with CS2 you can do an HDR. it's perfect for night shots.

roy
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:44 PM   #19

I've been using PhotoLab 3 since its the only thing I know about that recognizes the the K100D at the moment. It's pretty easy to adjust contrast with their curves tool.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote