Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:42 AM   #1
TDN

This is the one I had to pay the high import fees for...

On first sight, it doesn't look like a mistake though

The barrel distortion was what seemed to be the biggest problem with this lens when you read the reviews.
Well, as long as you're taking real pictures and not test pics of a grid, then it's not that bad.

I like the colors, the natural tone seems to compensate a little of the in-camera "bright" setting's saturation (which I leave on to get sharper jpegs without post processing.)

The zoom range is very nice of course, very versatile, this'll definitly come in ahndy on my trip.
Zoom ring is still a little stiff, the lens is brand new, hopefully it'll come a little more loose soon.
The AF is loud, but frankly I don't really care about that, as long as it works it's good for me.

These were all shot in raw, so I corrected exposure and such afterwards...
all at 800 ISO

Attached Images

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:42 AM   #2
TDN

Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:42 AM   #3
TDN

Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:43 AM   #4
TDN

cat decided to "grant" me a picture
Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:09 AM   #5

from the looks of the photos, the lens is nice! do you know (or anyone else) what the difference is between the XR lens and the LD lenses? (they're half the price of the XR so it must be something significant!) thanks!

also, is there a significant loss of quality going from the 28-200 to the 28-300 lenses that tamron has available?
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:27 PM   #6
TDN

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
from the looks of the photos, the lens is nice! do you know (or anyone else) what the difference is between the XR lens and the LD lenses? (they're half the price of the XR so it must be something significant!) thanks!

also, is there a significant loss of quality going from the 28-200 to the 28-300 lenses that tamron has available?
I took some more on an evening walk, and the lens seems to be everything I asked for to take on the trip to Turkey.

From a quick google search:

Quote:
XR glass (extra refraction) is glass of high refractive index, used to keep the lens short. LD (low dispersion) glass is used to control and minimize chromatic aberration. Aspherical elements are used to minimize aberrations like spherical aberration which become more troublesome in fast lenses.
I have no idea about you last question, since I only have this one. My guess would be that the pincushion distortion gets worse towards the 300mm end.

TDN

Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:33 PM   #7

I don't know about the different flavours of Tamron but the Pentax SMC FA 28-200mm is actually a Tamron made lens but with genuine Pentax electronics and coating. The problem is that the Pentax FA lens does not have the special glass elements (low dispersion I believe) so it is actually not quite as sharp as the Tamron and shows more CA.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:30 AM   #8

well, i ended up getting the tamron LD super II model - it doesn't have the XR coatings, and is slightly larger than the XR (5oz. heavier from what i've read), and has a filter size of 72mm vs. the XRs 62mm. The XR was $110 after shipping on ebay - i picked up a gently used Super II on ebay for $60, with a UV and circular polarizer filter, so i figure for a good deal I won't miss too much. I found a shutterbug review of the Super II and the XR, they both sounded good and both have the close focus (18 inches or so) macro ability throughout the zoom range. i'll let everyone know if it's good!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote