Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:17 PM   #11

I use a NYLON artists brush (good quality from an art store, slightly smaller that the sensor) that has never been used, and a can of compressed air. I take the brush, blow compressed air through it at the tip, which statically charges the brush, then if you move the brush over the sensor it will attract the dust and the sensor will be clean.

You do not need to touch the sensor, but if you do it isn't a big deal, but get canned air that has no moisture in it from a camera store and test it on a mirror before using. There are some types of canned air that have liquid in them and they can make a mess of your sensor, so get the stuff that is moisture free.

This method is fast and works all the time and actually removes the dust instead of blowing it somewhere else inside the camera like a blower does.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:34 PM   #12
TDN

I looked at the sensor just now, and I saw the problemmaker.

It's a very small piece of fiber, so it's not real dirt that collected on there. (that would explain the strange shape of the shadow it casts on the sensor)

I'm pretty sure I can blow it off with a handblower...

Bus drivers were on strike today, so my visit to the cmarea shop in the city will have to wait till tomorrow.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:05 PM   #13

I'm using the 'puffer' from a 'puffer brush' which seems to work.

The only problem with blowers is that all you are doing is moving the dust from one position, off the sensor, to somewhere else, away from the sensor, only for it to lodge there again some time in the future.

I'm loathe to use anything that comes into contact with the Filter but someday, blowing is bound not to be enough necessitating firmer action.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:51 PM   #14

TDN wrote:
Quote:
nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
You do know not to use canned air right!!!???
yes I do, I'm planning to use one of those hand blowers, without any brushes.

If I use newly charged batteries, I should be able to keep the mirror up long enough for me to blow that 1 piece of dust away, right?

TDN
Good choice. I've used the rocket blower with excellent results. I like simple things that work.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:08 AM   #15
TDN

Little follow-up on this one.

I picked up a Hama blower today, like this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...amp;sku=163355

Good news: it removed the large L-shaped speck flawlessly!

So no more annoying spot on all my f8+ photos.

Slightly less news: it didn't remove the smaller speck in the upper left corner...I guess this is what they call "welded dust"...
Luckily this one only shows up at really small aperture shots.

I will still send the camera to Pentax for more thourough cleaning, but later this year, when I can miss it for 2 weeks...(which is hardly unlikely )

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote