Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:52 PM   #11

When I receive mine I will probably mount it in the camera and leave it there. I really don't like to change the screens, so I will just adjust to this one so that I can start getting serious about MF lenses again. My old 135mm f2.8 Rikenon XR is very nice and the Chinon 200mm f3.5 screw mount is also a fun lens (although the 70-210mm f4 SMC-A lens I got from Roy will probably replace it). Then there is the Rikenon XR 28mm f2.8 and even the old Phoenix/Samyang 500mm mirror lens with the T-mount.

I guess I am looking forward to seeing if this screen will do it for me.

Ira

Oops, forgot the best of all, the 50mm f1.7 SMC-M.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:36 PM   #12

Roy

B&H $44.90 with shipping ($39.95) Great price and service

Jack
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:43 AM   #13

LL-60 does not have a split screen (like that on an Nikon F2) . Kateye ($100) and the cheaper DIY from China ($30) are. Is the LL-60 any brighter than the stock one? As a replacement for a badly scratched one, that is ok.

Daniel

Yog-Sothoth wrote:
Quote:
$39.95 at B&H, which is cheaper than what Pentax quoted me. I would have picked mine up at the Pentax center in Golden, CO, but they no longer have any sort of walk-in facilities.

Replacing the screen was relatively easy, and having the tool will be good for when I get dust on the other side of the screen...again.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:18 PM   #14

It may be my imagination... but it appears to be... of course it has better framing properties.

Jack
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:37 AM   #15

I recall crashman mentioned that it was a lot better. So likely it is better then without the split screen.

Daniel

snoopy2 wrote:
Quote:
It may be my imagination... but it appears to be... of course it has better framing properties.

Jack
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:59 AM   #16

Just received my Minolta X-700 based screen from Ischi in China. Excellent, just like looking through my old ME-Super. A real chore to install (mine may be a little off centre, but it seems to be stable) without the proper tools.

Preliminary tests show accurate focus (MF and AF) and no issues with exposure. I really like this screen because it works very well with my 50mm f1.7 (and the 70-210 A-series f4). Now I can seriously explore for good M and A series glass.

If you own a DS or DS2 you probably don't have that fiddly metal spaced to deal with so the swap would be easier.

Daniel, this one didn't come with the bonus extra clear screen so I don't have a spare like you do.

I would love to see Pentax sell a version of the K100D, possibly call it a K100Dm, with a screen like this and no other changes. This would be great for old MF lens owners. (Unfortunately it would eat into new lens sales, possibly why this screen does not exist from Pentax.)

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:05 AM   #17

i like mine also. big difference in delivery times. we ordered on the same day..

edit: i don't remember seeing the spacer. you may be right.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:44 AM   #18

Ira,

Good for you. Is the centre split circle of Minolta X700 screen smaller than mine as shown above?
The focus mechanism of my K100D happens to be slightly better. Given my tendency to jank things out for a look, it will be a matter before I take the screen out to see if it is really irreplaceable. Somebody reported that it is slightly bigger.

Daniel

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Just received my Minolta X-700 based screen from Ischi in China. Excellent, just like looking through my old ME-Super. A real chore to install (mine may be a little off centre, but it seems to be stable) without the proper tools.

Preliminary tests show accurate focus (MF and AF) and no issues with exposure. I really like this screen because it works very well with my 50mm f1.7 (and the 70-210 A-series f4). Now I can seriously explore for good M and A series glass.

If you own a DS or DS2 you probably don't have that fiddly metal spaced to deal with so the swap would be easier.

Daniel, this one didn't come with the bonus extra clear screen so I don't have a spare like you do.

I would love to see Pentax sell a version of the K100D, possibly call it a K100Dm, with a screen like this and no other changes. This would be great for old MF lens owners. (Unfortunately it would eat into new lens sales, possibly why this screen does not exist from Pentax.)

Ira
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:42 PM   #19

I recived mine (from the same gyu as Ira) last friday. took a while to install because I had to do it 3 times (somehow it got dusty during this process so I had to take it out). I made a little scratch but it's at the top edge so doesn't bother me. manual focus is much easier than with original screen. and this metal spacer was very annoying, but I managed. if there's nice weather saturday (wishfull thinking) I'll go to zoo to check it out with my vivitar 70-210.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:10 PM   #20

Roy,

No wonder you were saying that it was easy. ( D or DS may be without the spacer). Both I and Ira had the scary moment when the spacer fell out causing scratch on the screen. I swear it dropped no more than 3/4 inch in a small cavity.

Daniel

robar wrote:
Quote:
i like mine also. big difference in delivery times. we ordered on the same day..

edit: i don't remember seeing the spacer. you may be right.