Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:40 PM   #1

I have been reading online that the Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro is one of the better macro lenses available and has something of a cult status. As I am new to photography, I was wondering if anyone knew the current going rate of one of these lenses? If I start with extension tubes or macro diopters I am sure I will still end up shopping for a true 1:1 macro lens. So why not cut right to the chase. Basically I am looking at one and I don't want to overpay nor do I want to miss a bargain so any info on current prices would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:41 PM   #2

tim, this lens usually sells for between $100-200usd. depends on the auction and who's buying.. it is a superb macro lense. my vivitar 105mwas made by Kino aka(bet you know what that means) Kiron. both of these lenses as well as the lester dine are pretty much identical.. they are superb macro lenses. the down side of them is they are big and heavy compared to modern optics.. up side is that you get a lense that will compete in image quality with ANY!! modern macro for 1/4-1/3 the price. i love my Kino lens and you've seen the results..

roy
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:02 PM   #3

I second that. I own the identical Lester A. Dine Dental lensand also the optically identical Vivitar Series 1 105mm. It is asgood as any modernmacro lens. It is bigandheavy, and built likea tank. Not a light weight travel lens. Awesome bokeh and sharpness. My favorite lens.

The last two I watched on EBay ended around 150 bucks.

Here is what it looks mounted on the ist D
Attached Images

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:27 PM   #4

Thank you Roy and HogRider,
I have been researching these lenses and I have yet to find anyone with something bad to say about them. I watched a Lester Dine 105 and Sigma 100-300mm lens combo go for $61 because the seller could not say what camera they mounted to. I probably should have picked them up and resold them if they were not K mount. I am definately interested in getting a good macro lens and this seems to be the best option in my price range.

Thank you,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:07 PM   #5

a problem here is purchasing a lense with an unknown mount is that very few cams can use an older mount without serious trouble.. be thankful you own a pentax.

roy