Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:06 AM   #1

Today I tried my hand again at taking pictures inside a museum. This was shot in raw, and converted using PhotoLab (the only thing I have at the moment that recognizes the K100D). I didn't change the white balance since I'm using the laptop's screen in a motel room, and it tends to be bluish (tried using Pantone adjustments but didn't like what I came up with), but I did adjust the contrast when converting it and added some smart sharpening after cropping and resizing slightly (not far from 100% crop). Let me know if you think the color balance is really horrible.

Since two people tell me the color balance on this one is horrible (as I said before, I can't really tell), I'll delete it. I will say that I'm impressed at how much I can push the envelope with the SR stabilizing things.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:11 AM   #2

Second one, same lens. This one is resized, only slightly cropped, smart sharpen. Shutter speed .5 sec. I almost didn't post this because it does show some camera shake and isn't up to the quality of photos others posted today, but I wanted to show what a huge difference SR can make. Since I was using a manual lens, I was using M mode, not the museum mode, and no flash (flash photography not allowed). I had far more keepers today than I should have had, even taking into consideration the fast lens.
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:51 AM   #3

To me the color balance is horrible. But it may be the actual color. Did you lean or brace for any support while doing this 1/8 s? I cannot wait to try my Zenitar 16 mm that may give me some more manoevre room to lower the shutter speed for museum no flash shooting.
BTW color balance for museum shooting is pain as each is different

Daniel

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Today I tried my hand again at taking pictures inside a museum. This was shot in raw, and converted using PhotoLab (the only thing I have at the moment that recognizes the K100D). I didn't change the white balance since I'm using the laptop's screen in a motel room, and it tends to be bluish (tried using Pantone adjustments but didn't like what I came up with), but I did adjust the contrast when converting it and added some smart sharpening after cropping and resizing slightly (not far from 100% crop). Let me know if you think the color balance is really horrible. This was handheld using a M 24mm 2.8 lens bought at least 20 years ago and handheld. Shutter speed was 1/8sec.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:54 AM   #4

Color balance wise, I like this one. Likely it was the actual. Good one you have there. Thanks for sharing. I also look forward to more keepers than waste next time I will be in Ottawa

Daniel

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Second one, same lens. This one is resized, only slightly cropped, smart sharpen. Shutter speed .5 sec. I almost didn't post this because it does show some camera shake and isn't up to the quality of photos others posted today, but I wanted to show what a huge difference SR can make. Since I was using a manual lens, I was using M mode, not the museum mode, and no flash (flash photography not allowed). I had far more keepers today than I should have had, even taking into consideration the fast lens.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:59 AM   #5

Hmmm. Are they shot in the same museum??? The saddles image is quite nice and I don't see any camera shake you indicated.

As for the first image - no comment
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:21 AM   #6

never saw the first but this one seems to be leaning toward tungsten lighting as it has a yellow color cast.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:23 AM   #7

if you handheld this at 1/2 sec then i applaud you. i posted this in another thread. a color blind guy uses the same to balance his shots.. give it a try.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

roy
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:47 AM   #8

don't know if this is better but i'll post it.

to me it looks like i blew a few hilights.
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:40 PM   #9

Thanks for the link - it was an interesting video. I haven't tried that method yet, but there's something similar you can do using levels (the auto button on levels often works, but not always). I won't be able to tell which one is more true to life until I get my computer hooked up to a better monitor (back in Vegas today). The picture's sharpness has more to do with the camera's SR - I wasn't braced at all, just tried a steady stance, breathing control and used a 24mm lens. Before someone asks, this was the limit - I tried to take one at a slower speed and it had quite a bit of camera shake. Also found out that having the white balance set for tunsten doesn't do a scene lit by natural sunlight any good at all.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:45 PM   #10

try using a custom WB. i've got a 4x5 gray/white card in my kit.

roy