Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:27 AM   #1

I am supposed to be spending this morning picking up everything outside in anticipation of catching a little wind from Ernesto. But I took the camera with me, just for a minute, and two and a half hours later the job is still not begun.

Anyhow, this tree rat spent about ten minutes scolding me while I took his picture. It is not nearly as good as the photos so many of you have posted here. It was the best of about thirty I took of him. I know it could use a little bit of sharpening but all I have done thus far is resize it. I am hoping for some constructive criticism and pointers so I can do better next time. I was using aperture priority, this shot was F8, full 300mm zoom, and the camera chose ISO 800 and and 1/90 exposure. The conditions were a little challenging as the sun was still low to my left (his right) and he was somewhat backlit through the canopy. There was only this one hole in the leaves I could shoot through and get a decent angle.

Thanks for any input you might have,

Tim
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:28 AM   #2

This is a 100% crop from the same picture. I can see now what people mean when they say "soft when zoomed out."
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3

One important photography tip I learned this morning was this. If you are walking around a tree in your back yard in bare feet, trying to take a picture of a squirrel, and you have dogs, you might want to take your eye away from the viewfinder occasionally .

This is probably the best picture I took this morning. I really liked the way the morning light fell on her face. This one was cropped and resized but aside from that I have not changed anything. Same Tamron lens at 200mm zoom, f6.7, 1/250 exposure, ISO 400. Again, tips, advice, and criticism would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tim
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:34 AM   #4

Oops. Here is the pic.
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:07 AM   #5

Looks like a nice dog!

OK, you asked for tips. When you point the camera, don't forget to compose the picture filling the whole frame. In this picture you have pointed the camera at the important thing, the dogs head. Then you have chopped his feet off! There is plenty of room over his head.

I have to remind myself of this all the time: use thewhole frame, let the motif fill it from corner to corner! Too often I forget it and have to shoot again:angry:!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:45 AM   #6

Thanks Kjell, that is a good tip. While I did crop this photo I did not take anything off the bottom, the dogs foot was cut off in the original and there was even more room at the top.

Thanks,

Tim