Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:44 PM   #31

I have the Phoenix 100mm macro lens - very sharp, light, doesn't cost much, but it seems a bit flimsy, and the AF for non-macro shots seems to hunt more than my Pentax lenses. It's definitely worth the money, the optics on itare underrated.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:11 AM   #32

Thanks John and mtngal for that information. I will stay away from the mirror lenses for the time being I think.

The phoenix ones do sound very tempting, autofocus isn't an issue for me cos I do everything manually anyway, as far as it being flimsy is concerned, that was a common comment on my old camera, that it was flimsy and could break easily but I never had a single problem so I think if one is careful with the handling, there shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have any sample images from the Phoenix you could email me? Full size, unedited preferrably, just so that I can see the quality, perhaps an unedited one or two and an edited one or two.

I've come across another stumbling block now too. Two weeks ago, I had my cat spayed, she removed the first sticth after just three days, that was ok, no problems occurred, then she removed the second one after about five or six days, again, no problems occurred though some swelling was apparant but it started to go down very quickly, we went for the post op check etc and all seemed well.

I've been watching the wound site every day to make sure the swelling is still going down, which it has been and the wound itself, well, it was barely noticeable.

However, last night, out of the blue, it started to open up so I now have to take my Precious kitty to the vets today. Depending on the outcome, will depend on cost obviously, if the vet just looks at it and gives her antibiotics to prevent infection, it will be very cheap, however, if they need to do more, we are talking much more money which will mean I won't be able to get the Sigma.

So, that will mean either a teleconverter or one of the Phoenix lenses and being that they are so cheap to buy, I would risk ordering one from ebay internationally.

Typical isn't it, win some money and think everything is just great and then an unexpected bill crops up! lol! Gotta laugh eh, could have been worse, if I hadn't won the money, I would be panicking about how to pay the bill.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:40 AM   #33

Alison

I took a look at my mirror lens and yes it is a "Phoenix" actually branded Phoenix/Samyang. It is 1:8.0 F 500, made in Korea. It has a screwed on adapter at the rear and small filters that drop into the adapter to reduce the light where necessary. Focuses down to 1.7 metres (about 5 ft).

I would not like to say it is 'bad', just not remarkable. Perhaps I should take it out on the *ist DS and see what it can really do!

John

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:26 AM   #34

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
Alison

I took a look at my mirror lens and yes it is a "Phoenix" actually branded Phoenix/Samyang. It is 1:8.0 F 500, made in Korea. It has a screwed on adapter at the rear and small filters that drop into the adapter to reduce the light where necessary. Focuses down to 1.7 metres (about 5 ft).

I would not like to say it is 'bad', just not remarkable. Perhaps I should take it out on the *ist DS and see what it can really do!

John

I have the same lens, and the same comments. If it is a really bright day and you have it on a tripod you can get nice results. I should dig out mine and try it out again.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:55 AM   #35

which phoenix lens are you talking about??

you need to put the cat in an E-collar so it can't lick the wound. i've had a dog in one for alwost 3 weeks.. they work..

roy
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:57 AM   #36
TDN

alibunnylady wrote:
Quote:
What about a digiscope? Is that worth looking into do you think? No idea how to use one or anything but might be an option to consider.

Also, what is a mirror lens? Seen a couple of them about but what's the difference between that and a "normal" lens?

Alison
A mirror lens is a lens based on a technique used in telescopes.

More precisely, the Cassegrain type telescope.

Basicly what it does is reflect the light instead of bending it, thus cutting the length in half.

A photographic mirror lens won't consist of only mirrors, it will also have a few "corrective" elements to produce optimal results.

Here's the ups & downs: http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/mirrors/

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:20 AM   #37

robar wrote:
Quote:
which phoenix lens are you talking about??

you need to put the cat in an E-collar so it can't lick the wound. i've had a dog in one for alwost 3 weeks.. they work..

roy
Yep, she is now wearing an e-collar, not impressed one little bit with this new fashion accessory mummy is making her wear! lol!

We went to the vet and there is an infection, she's on anti biotics, has to go back on Friday. They didn't charge me a consultation fee, just for the meds which is only £7 so far so am quite pleased about that.

Alison
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:25 AM   #38

Quote:

Here's the ups & downs: http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/mirrors/

TDN
Hmm, I think I will avoid the mirror lenses going on that review, I'm quite fussy and don't want to have something I might be disappointed with. I know there is no guarantee I will like the sigma but it's a name I do trust and most people do recommend them.

Alison
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:26 AM   #39

snooked wrote:
Quote:
How about a sigma 100-300mm F/4 Internal Focus. Very sharp, just saw one on ebay, bidding at $295. Still F5.6 with tele-converter.
Not a strong enough zoom, I want at least 500mm, already have the sigma 70-300mm.

Alison
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:30 AM   #40

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:

I have the same lens, and the same comments. If it is a really bright day and you have it on a tripod you can get nice results. I should dig out mine and try it out again.

Ira
This is the key thing, "if it's a really bright day". I want this new lens for winter photography more than anything and the lighting is likely to be poor at least half of the time.

I will still try and get my sigma, one company rang me this morning to let me know their supplier has them in stock so that's brilliant, the fact also that they rang me so quickly is a good sign that they are a good company and reliable.

Hopefully my vet bill won't mount up too much and I will still be able to go for the sigma. Fingers crossed.

Alison