Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:37 PM   #1

I know that working with RAW without properly calibrated monitor doesn't have much sense. so how do you do that? I know there are some electronic devices you put on the screen and they tell you what to do to get it calibrated, but I don't want to buy anything like that, I'm not that desperate. and I never print my photos, I always take them to a minilab. they do good job with jpges straight from camera but I don't know if what I do with RAW will look as good on the print as on my screen without calibrating it. is there any good calibrating software (or any for that matter) or should I get something printed and then adjust my screen to match colors on that print?

thanks in advance.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:02 PM   #2

you opened a can of worms here. try googling ''moniter calibration''. you have a lot of reading to do..

roy
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:57 AM   #3

Here's a review that looks into different color calibration products for LCD screens. I found it very interesting, but somewhat disappointing because it implies you have to pay money if you it done reliably.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/6...-0-to-100.html

If you see any similar reviews, please post - I'd definately like to read some second opinions.

Pat
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:15 AM   #4

Hi pwithhem

While i am Not saying it cannot be Done by hand/eye. I was never able to do it. The few pictures i did print never matched My screen.
I Finally broke down and got My calibration setup and Its been great. The sensor will actually adjust your screen for ambient light.
I really Did not want to spend the money, but i am not sorry i did.

BK/Phil

pwithem wrote:
Quote:
Here's a review that looks into different color calibration products for LCD screens. I found it very interesting, but somewhat disappointing because it implies you have to pay money if you it done reliably.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/6...-0-to-100.html

If you see any similar reviews, please post - I'd definately like to read some second opinions.

Pat
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote