Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:48 PM   #1

I have been playing with my new DL. Got a 70-210mm Tamron lens that is MF. After looking in manual with no success I started playing around. At first when lens was put on I could not get it to take any pics. in any mode. Went into the Custom menu set up and played around until found the aperture ring setting and turned it on. Now the camera will take pictures. It seems that no matter where I set the aperture at my camera give the same reading for shutter speed. Why is this? I did a search on the forums, but had no luck finding anything. Also no matter where I turn program dial the LCD screen says AV priority. Is this my only choice?Also the aperture ring has an AE on far left side that locks the ring.

Thanks,

Chad
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:09 PM   #2

Credit goes to Edvinas for this:

Quote:
Someone should make FAQ about using old lenses on digital Pentax bodies

To make them work you must do following:
1) Go to "Custom Setting" menu and set "Using aperture ring" to "Permitted". By default it is "Prohibited".
2) Set camera to "M" (Manual) mode.
3) Set aperture on your lense.
4) Measure exposure by pressing AE-L
5) Take a picture
6) return to step 5. If lighting conditions changed , return to step 4. If you change aperture, go to step 3

That's it!
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3

Thanks Rufus!!!!

Just tried it and it worked. I had done a search on the forums, but had no luck finding anything. Sorry!!!

Another newbie question. Is there something special you do, because this lens has macro on it? There is an arrow right next to where it says macro. I guess what I am asking is what does that arrow have to do with macro?

Thanks Again,

Chad
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:07 PM   #4

I can't answer that question with any authority but there are a number of users here using similar lenses that can give you an accurate answer. Oh, I almost forgot... Welcome to the board!
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:12 AM   #5

cjrenick wrote:
Quote:
Another newbie question. Is there something special you do, because this lens has macro on it? There is an arrow right next to where it says macro. I guess what I am asking is what does that arrow have to do with macro?
There are several methods I have seen for macro in an older zoom lens:

1- Some Samyang lenses actually rotated the barrel beneath the push-pull zoom collar to change modes.

2- See if the focus ring will turn past its minimum focus mark at one of the extreme zoom positions (70mm or 210mm). This is a very common feature on older lenses.

3- Some just close focus at all focal lengths (although your description makes this sound unlikely)

I would try the second option, it sounds like the most likely one.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:43 PM   #6

This is the lens. The web site tells me nothing.

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/m70210_4mm_lg.asp
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:49 PM   #7

Looks like it could be the continuous focus type, does it have ratios like 1:8, 1:4 after it stops giving distances on the distance scale?

Ira
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:50 PM   #8

Yes!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:52 PM   #9

If the focus ring can turn to these ratios then it is now in the macro range. Remember that the term macro is somewhat abused, most macro zooms are just close focus lenses that do not get down to the 1:2 or 1:1 ratio that a true macro lens will.

Ira

BTW I do not own a macro lens but also use an MF70-210mm macro-zoom (Pentax A, f4)with a home made automatic extension tube (a Takumar-A 2X teleconverter with the lenses taken out). It gives me a fairly close focus combination but is still not into a true macro range.