Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:30 AM   #1

I know about 4 ways of macro photography, but because I'm quite dew to SLR I don't really know much about them, so if anyone could explain differences I'd be really grateful.

1. dedicated macro lens (like 1:1 105mm) - is 1:1 magnification achieved by very close focus distance? if not what is focus distance? how hard is it to shoot handholding? how big is DOF?

2. extension tubes - it's possible to get 1:1 with 3 tubes and 50mm lens, but what is focus distance (do they shorten native min focusing distance)? is it easier to use than macro lens? does extension tubes force you to use faster shutter speed (like long lenses)? and how about DOF? is it bigger or smaller than macro lens?

3. dipoters - I know they're best used on longer lenses to get max magnification but you need fast shutter speed and DOF is close to nothing. that was my way of shooting macro with my FZ 10. not very easy

4. reversed lens - I knoe wtat reversing lens in front of another works like very strong diopter, but how about single reversed lens? usual questions: what's the focus distance and how big is DOF? is it better to luse longer or shorter lens? which gives higher magnification? I know this technique is for shooting really really small things.

thanks

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:58 AM   #2

i wish i knew
i am interested in what the answers will be

i am going to guess you cant beat a true macro lens

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:53 AM   #3

We have people here who have tried all of these methods so there should be an answer soon. I haven't done enough macro to comment so this is just a bump to the top. I will watch with interest.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:56 AM   #4

I suppose there's another Bellows. Equivelant to tubes, but you must change these. With a bellows you're extending without having to add or remove the tubes.

I think Ira or Roy may have answered this elsewhere as well as place a link.

One must remember there are three levels, if I might call them that, and they all have to do with distance: Close-up (today's misnomer - macro), Macrophotography, macrography and if you want to go further micrography.

I believe, and its all relative, up-to-6 inches, up-to 1 inch and closer than an inch are the relative distances.

I'm sure i might be corrected as the thread goes on.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:17 PM   #5

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
1. dedicated macro lens (like 1:1 105mm) - is 1:1 magnification achieved by very close focus distance? if not what is focus distance? how hard is it to shoot handholding? how big is DOF?

here is for example the linkto DOF table thatSigma Macro 50mm has:

http://sigma-photo.com/images/Lenses....8EX_DG(E).pdf
deejjjaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:51 PM   #6

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
I know about 4 ways of macro photography, but because I'm quite dew to SLR I don't really know much about them, so if anyone could explain differences I'd be really grateful.

1:1 is a ratio of the subject size as represented on the sensor 1/2'' real size suject = 1/2'' size on the sensor. you DO NOT have to be close to achieve it. distance from the camera BODY of a 50mm lens will be about 6'', distance w/a 100mm will be about 12'', w/a180mm between 24-36''. the furthur the distance the harder it is to hand hold. IMHO but w/the further distance the least likely to scare your subject off.. that's why i like using a flash.
Quote:
2. extension tubes - it's possible to get 1:1 with 3 tubes and 50mm lens, but what is focus distance (do they shorten native min focusing distance)? is it easier to use than macro lens? does extension tubes force you to use faster shutter speed (like long lenses)? and how about DOF? is it bigger or smaller than macro lens?
a 50mm lens needs about 50mm ext rings to achieve 1:1 ratio. my 50mm w/52mm ext focuses at about 6'' with them and about 16'' without. i don't know about the DOF. the DOF of ANY macro shot is going to be small. that's why you need small apertures. i've gotten great results w/ext rings and would recommend them as a starting point. be sure to get a set that keeps the manual aperture option.
3. dipoters - I know they're best used on longer lenses to get max magnification but you need fast shutter speed and DOF is close to nothing. that was my way of shooting macro with my FZ 10. not very easy
you answered here.
4. reversed lens - I knoe wtat reversing lens in front of another works like very strong diopter, but how about single reversed lens? usual questions: what's the focus distance and how big is DOF? is it better to luse longer or shorter lens? which gives higher magnification? I know this technique is for shooting really really small things.
i've gotten a few shots with a lens on a lens. from the front of the mounted lens to the subject is very short. forget about DOF. i don't like this at all.
a 50mm mounted directly to the camera is a totally different thing. i've gotten outstanding results with it. problem is that past f11 the view finder starts to get real dim because the aperture is closed down. this rivals a dedicated macro and i'd recommend it as a good starting place..

thanks

greg
hope that helps i'll post a couple.
this a shot with a 200mm with 60mm ext rings, @f11, 1/180, onboard flash used. full frame, raw, and yes i PPed it by darkening the back ground
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:54 PM   #7

this one with a 200mm with 64mm ext. this is a prime not a zoom lens. distance is about 30''+
i really like this combo because you can get the image from a distance and most people think you have to be right up on top of the subject.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:59 PM   #8

this is a reversed 50mm and a Led ring light.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:07 PM   #9

reversed 50mm and off cameraflash
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:46 PM   #10

thanks roy, thats aswers my questions.

couple more if you don't mind: if you use tubes with 50mm lens do you have to use faster shutter speed than without them?

considering that it's like 75mm on DL without tubes shutter should be 1/100s to avoid shake, is it still 1/100 with tubes?

second: how close you have to get to the subject with reversed lens? I tried just holding it in front of caemra body to see how it looks through viewfinder but it didn't look like great magnification. well I'll try to get a stepup ring and make myself a reversing ring to try it.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote