Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:11 PM   #1

Night shots aren't my normal thing, and there are lots of lights on in Vegas. I didn't worry about the AF because I was using my two fast manual lenses - a 24mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.4. I found out about filter or lens flare - not quite sure which. I also took a photo that proved that SR does nothing for moving objects (won't bore you with that one!). All of these were taken at 200 ISO and have been pp in my usual way (crop in some cases, Smart sharpen, converted from raw with PhotoLab 3. The Eiffel Tower picture was rotated (can't quite get things straight!). Since this is my first try taking night photos, any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Pentax SMC-M 24mm 2.8 lens, 1/15 sec.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:19 PM   #2

Construction is everywhere in Vegas. The cranes and construction in this shot is the resort going up near the Bellagio. On this computer (my lousy laptop's monitor), the colors are nice, but I don't know if they will look as good on something else. Same lens (I think) and 1/10 sec shutter speed.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:25 PM   #3

Final one - it's a pretty boring picture but I was interested to know if this is lens flare or filter flare. I didn't think to take off the UV filter at the time, so don't know if the problem was the filter or if it's the lens. The lights at the top of the picture reflect the headlights of the cars below. Shutter speed 1/20 sec. I know I can always clone or spot heal them away, but wondered if anyone would know what it was from. If filter flare, its easy to take off the filter. If lens flare, is there any way to avoid it in a scene like this? Thanks for any information!
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:56 PM   #4

I really like this tower one. The color even on my crappy monitor at work are great. IMO finding it harder to hold out for the K10 each time someone posts shots at night with the K100. Maybe you could make this a normal thing, night photography I mean.
pentaxistds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:46 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Night shots aren't my normal thing,
Harriet, you're an unskilled newbie at this and the pope for sure is a Moslem.

Serious, these are very, very, very good.From all aspects.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:06 PM   #6

A 10, 15 and 20 of a sec to record these shots - WOW and hand-held!

They are so clear. Well done Alison.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:29 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Wonderful images Harriet! I had the oppotuntiy to stay at the Bellagio several years ago and captured some nice images using a film camera. The Bellagio with the fountains were especially pictreseque.

You captured the Eifel Tower very well--the lighting and composition are A1. Nicely done. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:47 PM   #8

wow, i'm a believer.. 1/10, 1/20, 1/30
not bad for a newbie...just kidding

roy
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:53 PM   #9

I took the same shot last week, but since I don't have a K100D I was forced to use the crotch of a tree to stabelize my DS to keep it in focus.

I looked at most of my night shots from Vegas and did not find the reflections in the sky you found in your shot and have no idea why it would be there other than the filter.

Your construction shot is a great night photograph, and the others are not far behind.

I will have a K100D of the D10 before next summer-I need SR.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:39 PM   #10

Tom - Guess everyone ends up trying to take a picture of this - it's something fun to photograph. I think your color is more correct than my picture is - I don't dare change the white balance when I'm using this monitor. It's interesting to see the differences in photos - the one I posted was with a 24mm lens, I noticed yours was with a 28mm, and I also took one with a 50mm. The more I look at the construction photo, the more I think it was taken with the 50, but I'm not really sure now.

Thanks everyone for the complements - I'm rarely somewhere after dark where there's any artificial lighting, and I had fun last night playing with things I saw on a short walk around Paris (one of the horses in front of the Aladdin, the motorcycle bursting out of the front of the Harley Davidson Cafe, etc.). It was great fun - the SR does make a big difference for me.

So you think it's probably filter flare? Next time I'll definitely remove it when shooting at night.