Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:19 PM   #1

What is your experience with using filters on prime lenses? I am particularly interested in UV and polarizers. The situations I am thinking of are: harsh conditions, relatively wet environment, glare on surfaces etc.

Do they vignette? How about thin ones? Would a polarizer work on the front element?

Here are some lenses I would like to know of:
FA 50mm F1.4
DA 40mm F2.8
FA 35mm F2.0
FA 28mm F2.8
DA 21mm F3.2

Coincidentally, they are all 49mm in diameter. Would a step-up 49 to 52mm work?

Thanks

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:54 PM   #2

I've never had vignetting problems introduced with a UV filter that wasn't already present with the lens. I'm using UV filters on both of my manual primes (50mm and 24mm). The polarizer will introduce new light differences, especially in the sky. Makes for some interesting effects, but can be controlled by turning the dial to lessen the polarizing effect. I've never tried a step-up ring, so can't comment on that (my 49mm lenses all have 49mm filters, and that's the only size I happen to have for polarizers).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:09 PM   #3

I stopped using filters that were permanently attached to my lenses since I went digital to keep the image as sharp as possible, but I do use polarizing filters at times. Polarizer's are hard to use if the lens rotates while focusing, but it isn't impossible.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:45 AM   #4

For those who own either FA 50mm F1.4 or the pancake: is the front element rotating when focusing? Can a polarizer be used on them?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5

Its not that you can't use them, you just have to adjust the filter after focusing since the lens rotating, caused the filter to rotate also.

Tom
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:31 AM   #6

That is what I do not like doing: imagine taking picture of kids at a pumpkin' patch with reflections galore. No time for re-adjusting the polarizer.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:53 AM   #7

My 50mm 1.4 does not rotate while focusing, but it is a screw mount, and my F50mm 1.7 does not rotate either if that helps.

Tom
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:24 AM   #8

Another piece of glass on top of your prime? There is argument for and against. I just ordered from KEH 5 pc of 49mm crappy filters (around [email protected]) the glass of which are to be gutted . They make very good protection hood.

Daniel

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
What is your experience with using filters on prime lenses? I am particularly interested in UV and polarizers. The situations I am thinking of are: harsh conditions, relatively wet environment, glare on surfaces etc.

Do they vignette? How about thin ones? Would a polarizer work on the front element?

Here are some lenses I would like to know of:
FA 50mm F1.4
DA 40mm F2.8
FA 35mm F2.0
FA 28mm F2.8
DA 21mm F3.2

Coincidentally, they are all 49mm in diameter. Would a step-up 49 to 52mm work?

Thanks
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:30 AM   #9

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
For those who own either FA 50mm F1.4 or the pancake: is the front element rotating when focusing? Can a polarizer be used on them?
None of the 50mm lenses rotate, I cannot be certain about the pancake (although the old M series 40mm did not rotate ).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:18 PM   #10

Thanks guys. The 50mm is the one I care mostly and as I said I have reasons
to want either an UV or polarizer on them. I stopped using UV for casual protection when moving to digital as well (do not want to open that can of worms here).