Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:44 PM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
You guys are a bad influence on me - I had read this thread, but was going to stay as far away from it as I could! And there I go, posting something on it...
Hey, we're all friends here, we all have to vent sometimes.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:06 AM   #12

Oh, I agree with you - that's why I just HAD to post a reasonably good low-light picture! Couldn't just walk away from that, could I?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:11 AM   #13

It seems that when it comes to cameras, it's almost like a religion to some people. When they here conflicting view points, it's blasphemous.

And people get so hung up on tiny technical difference between the different cameras. In my humble opinion, for the amateur photographer those tiny differences are not going to make much of a difference when you look at the type of photographs that they are going to produce.

I think the sales clerk at Sammy's Camera (where I bought my K100d) put it best...

"Look all of these cameras (K100D, D50, Rebel XT) are all excellent entry level cameras. In the end it's not the camera that's going to make a huge difference in the quality of the photo. If you are a good photographer you will get excellent photos from all of these cameras. If you are a crappy photographer, then no matter what camera you chose, your photos will be crappy as well."
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:39 AM   #14

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
It seems that when it comes to cameras, it's almost like a religion to some people. When they here conflicting view points, it's blasphemous.
Especially the ones who only know what they read.

And people get so hung up on tiny technical difference between the different cameras. In my humble opinion, for the amateur photographer those tiny differences are not going to make much of a difference when you look at the type of photographs that they are going to produce.
And most top tier professionals probably go with the camera company that will give them more for endorsements, or give them free use of expensive gear.

I think the sales clerk at Sammy's Camera (where I bought my K100d) put it best...

"Look all of these cameras (K100D, D50, Rebel XT) are all excellent entry level cameras. In the end it's not the camera that's going to make a huge difference in the quality of the photo. If you are a good photographer you will get excellent photos from all of these cameras. If you are a crappy photographer, then no matter what camera you chose, your photos will be crappy as well."
Nice tohear ofa good salesman.
Quote:
Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:11 AM   #15

Only thing that I would add - while a pro can pick up a camera and take a fabulous picture immediately, for someone like me it takes lots of practice to consistently get good photos out of a camera. I felt like it took me almost 6 months to get really comfortable with the DS, and I'm not completely comfortable with how the K100D will react yet(I am getting better with it). Just my opinion, perhaps, but while I can know whether I'll enjoy using a camera within a short time of picking it up, and I'll know if I'm going to have trouble taking decent pictures with it within a week or two, it will take much longer than that before I can consistently take good pictures with it, instinctively adjusting to it's metering and dynamic range abilities.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:59 AM   #16
TDN

royce10 wrote:
Quote:

you've grasped it perfectly there royce. nothing to add

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:46 PM   #17

Well, I voiced my opinion over on "Which Camera Should I Buy." I think the guy just really thrives on having an audience to jost with. So I am pleased that I will soon be gone for a month.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:40 PM   #18

I just took a look over at the 'what camera should I buy' thread, and certainly opinions are running high, but it does raise an interesting point, which I suspect if one is honest we are all guilty of.

A camera, or more specifically an slr, is no small purchase, and if you are completly new to the realms of slr photography how else are you to gain information other than by reading reviews. The widespread availability of forums like this have created another avenue, but in the long run you are still just 'reading'. If you are lucky enough to still be within easy distance of a traditional photographic shop where the owner is knowledgeable and prepared to allow you to try a camera over a few rolls of film or downloads of an sd card then great, but the 'market place' has effectively driven most of those out of business and left us with large stores piling high selling sort of cheap and staff who have little real interest other than to sell what will earn them the best commission for that week. So once again it's down to reading reviews.

For me the choice was easy, I already had an MX (still in my view the best manual slr ever made) an ME and a selection of lenses. Pentax, by opting to make all of their dslr's backwardly compatable made my decision a no brainer unless of course I'd had an endless source of funds availabe to spend on new lenses.

Now I find myself wanting another body to avoid having to constantly change lenses. That for me is the one drawback of digital, dust seems to be more of a problem. The K1000 sounds good, but not that much of an improvement over the dl2 that I have. Fine shake reduction sounds good, but the mx gave me a pretty good grounding in how to hold a camera, and hell what are fast shutter speeds for?

Guess I'll just wait for the price of dl2's to go through the floor and grab another one then. But show me the digital medium format and i'd be drooling with the rest of them. If it performs anything like as well as the 645 then that will be the camera to be all comers, and once again you have that wealth of great Pentax glass just waiting to be snapped up on e bay.

So is there a moral to all of this. My guess is that most of us here bought into the pentax dslr range becuase of past ownership of pentax film cameras and the knowledge that we had lenses that we could reuse. But what if we were told to go out and buy the latest and greatest Hi fi for example? Reviews serve a purpose, they just need to be read with a fairly liberal pinch of salt.

Dom
dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:16 PM   #19

well said dom.
you are right about the MX. back in '78 when i was going to get a pre cam i was moving up from a 35mm mamiya m42. i read the reviews and(which took time back then) and narrowed it down to the nikon F2 and the MX. i just could not see spendin the $$ on the nikon even tho i could have swung it. i could not find any difference that mattered between the 2. i bought the MX and now i'm so glad i did as all my old glass works great.. what graduated to the DS??? a 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 100mm f4macro, and a 200mm f4..

roy
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:46 PM   #20

Hi guys/gals,

as my dSLR companion is Casio Z750 ( almost 20000 shots already) I have always dreamed of SLR with Casio software- everything perfect regarding speed, comfort, useability- but nobody can be perfect, right? Pentax, yeah, found this brand with Optio "Altoids" S but could not find a replacement for film cam- and Casio was my next P&S- and after the purchase of K100D (superb as I can comment (no action shots/speed needed))- still lack the power of Exilim engine (look Optio S vs. Casio EX-S3)- the case is: who can produce great body/optics, who can also make hard/software... Pitty but my expectations are high due to Pentax/Samsung alliance :-)

Best and happy shooting and as of dSLR- Pentaxian anyway..., JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote