Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:40 PM   #1

Hi All.

Was lucky enough to spot a juvenile BCNH by a local lake. I was able to stalk a bit and get close for a couple of shots, but unfortunately not as close as I would have liked before he took off.

DS ISO 800 -- FA*300/4.5 + PF 1.7xAFA (510mm) -- f7.65 (corrected), 1/125 sec Hand-held

Luckily, he only flew a short distance, but was less accessible because of intervening bushes and such.

DS, ISO 800 -- 1/750 sec, f7.65

He didn't stay long and flew to the other side of the lake (good thing it's a small lake, and this was at the narrow side -- maybe 50-70 ft away).

Here he was scratching his head, and fluffed up his head feathers. Must be nice to be able to change you hair style so easily. I think it's a good look, BTW, and if I had any hair I might be jealous of his ability to do this. :-)

1/350 se, f7.65

This last one is noticeably softer, but I decided to try stacking a Vivitar 2x MFTC on top of the PF 1.7x AFA so the total FL was 1020mm. I was bracing the lens against a tree branch, but the frame was jumping around so much, I was surprised the shot came out this well.

I decided to call it "So you think you can dance"

1/90 sec, f16 (corrected) @ 1020mm (1530mm FOV)

I seem to only get one or two chances a year to shoot these guys, so I was happy to get these.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:50 PM   #2

Wow, what a lovely bird! Those are good shots of him.

How do you post all your images in one message? I have to keep hitting reply so must be doing something wrong.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:14 PM   #3

Hi Alison,

Thanks.

I upload them to Flickr (any upload site will work) and then use the "link to" icon in the posting menu (between the " " and the { } on the far right. It then opens a new window where you paste your pic's URL from the upload site. The pic then shows up in the post. You can then apparently click on it and resize or move it, but I haven't tried this. If you want to continue typing below the pic, I've found that you have to hit Enter a couple of times before you insert the pic, then back up a couple of lines with the up cursor key -- then insert the pic. You then move your cursor under the pic and click and you can continue typing below it.

Sounds confusing, but it's not that hard (can't be -- I figured it out! :lol

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:00 PM   #4

great shots scott.. the *300 is definately on my santa claus list. it's about the only way i'll get it in the forseeable future..

roy
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:57 PM   #5

Tremendous shots, Scott!

Thanks for posting them.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:57 PM   #6

Awesome as usual! That lens takes incredible pictures - gives me lens-envy. I love the one with his head feathers fluffed up.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:11 PM   #7

Tom the sharpness of your hand held shots is truly amazing. The K100D couldn't improve much on that.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote