Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:42 AM   #1

Alot of the new dslr that come out have "dust-removal" technology. The bad thing about this is that it extedns there start up time. I was wondering because the k100d has sr, and the sensor moves to counter other movement... does this mean that in its movement it shakes of dust. Or is this movement too minimal. I know it sounds dumb but it might work. Thx
hoods
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:02 AM   #2
TDN

i dont think the sensor actually moves, does it?

I thought I heard it has a few extra pixels to each side, and moves the area where it takes the picture on that sensor. Would seems much better for battery life I think...

I could be wrong...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:06 AM   #3

"the Pentax K100D's distinguishing feature is its shake reduction system, which offers a two-stop shutter speed advantage and is compatible with any K-mount lens because the system is built into the image sensor system rather than the optics. The shake reduction system works by oscillating the 23.5 x 15.7 mm image sensor both vertically and horizontally using a magnetic force. The speed of the oscillation is adjusted in proportion to the amount of camera shake detected by the internal gyrosensor."
from the original press release.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 5:23 AM   #4
TDN

oh, i see. My bad then, you're right

hmm, don't know if it would be fast enough to shake off dust...but it might help preventing it from sticking on...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:13 AM   #5

The issue I have with dust removal, is it really does not remove the dust, it just moves it to some place else inside your camera where it can get back on your sensor.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:54 PM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
The issue I have with dust removal, is it really does not remove the dust, it just moves it to some place else inside your camera where it can get back on your sensor.
This is also true of the 'puffer' technique.

Don't knowof any technique that actually 'vacuum cleans' the interior; sticky swaps apart which I would be loath to use.

Whilst the dSRL is prone to dust on the sensor, I've experienced this twice with a Fuji S602 which has to go back the service depot for strip down & clean - £120 a time.

The advantage of film is thatdoesn't suffer from this problem

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:20 PM   #7

You've got a good point. It is not really important if you are careful in how you handle your slr.

ennacac wrote:
Quote:

Tom
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:06 PM   #8

There was a bit of dust on my K100D when I first got it - noticed it on my first photos. I had the SR on and turned the camera on and off a quite a bit (was at the car show) and it was still there the next day. From that I would guess that the SR doesn't vibrate the sensor enough to knock off much dust. By the way one of the reviews had a picture of the SR mechanism and indicated that they thought the sensor was the same one as on the DS/DR cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:52 PM   #9

ahhh k. well just a thought. Can you link me through to that picture?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:05 PM   #10

Are you asking for the review that talked about the sensor being the same as the DS/DL? It's a good thing I double-checked because I had thought it was the dcresource one, but it wasn't. It's inanother one posted in the same thread about reviews, this one at: http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/...cle_1154.shtml.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote