Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2006, 5:38 AM   #1

Hi All

From reading this forum and speaking to a friend this past weekend, its suggested to use a larger aperture number. I think my friend mentioned he uses f22 most times.

I decided to play arounf some more with Av and lanscape mode to test the apperture settings and the outcome. I noticed that when in lanscape mode the aperture was either f8 or f10 for the same setup (on tripod etc, only changed the mode). Now my dumb question. Why is lanscape mode using a big aperture if it is suggested to use a smaller such as f22? Should it not rather try and use a smaller apperture oris this wishful thinking on my side. Should I therefor rather use Av instead?

Appologies in advace if this was answered before or a totally dump question butI could not find anything to answer my question.

Thanks, Jacques
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2006, 5:53 AM   #2

small aperture give you longer DOF, that's why for landscape you should use f16 or f22. but small aperture is't everything. each focal lenght has different hyperfocal distance which is distance from camera to focus point at which with given aperture you get greates DOF. basically: for kit lens at f22 hyperfocal distance is around 2.5 meters. that means if you focus at 2.5 meters DOF will extend from about 1 meter to infinity. if you use bigger aperture like f16 hyperfocal distance gets longer any DOF gets smaller. to learn more try googling hyperfocal distace and hyperfocal distance calculator.

hope that helps

greg

sorry, don't know anything about picture modes, never use them
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:18 AM   #3

Thanks!!! I'll get onto Google shortly and cehck things out.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:00 PM   #4

Here's a good article and chart downloads.

What is Hyperfocal Distance and Why Should I Care?
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote