Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2006, 5:26 AM   #1

I'm after a little advice or suggestions from you all if you don't mind. The attached picture is nothing special, but illustrates perfectly my problem.

If you look at it at first sight it might appear that the greyhound is chasing a ball, unfortunately it's not. I thought that this might be a large lump of dirt on the sensor so set about cleaning that, to no avail. This appaers in all pictures, but obviously the lighter the general baclground the more obvious it is.

Any suggestions anyone? Dom
Attached Images

dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:09 AM   #2

Looks like a small piece of dust to me.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:55 AM   #3

dom, looks like dust. if you have clear skies, set the kit lens on f22, and take a pict of the clear sky or something slse that light in color.. d/l the image and open it at FULL size. that should tell you.. you WILL see the motes.

roy
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:04 AM   #4

It certainly looks like dust, you said you did some cleaning, what method did you use? Personally I have used a simple bulb blower but nothing more on my camera however there are many products out there for more aggressive cleaning, but beware.

I would also check with Pentax about the warranty, some owners have posted that Pentax will clean a sensor under warranty, I can't verify that but it is worth checking.

Finally, if you do plan to cleanthe sensor thoroughlyget an AC adapter for the camera or install freshly charged batteries. If your batteries go dead during cleaning the shutter will close and the mirror will drop, any foreign object in there paths will result in a very expensive repair job.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:23 AM   #5

Tom,Roy,Ira

Thanks for your help. I have gone through the suggested procedure for cleaning the sensor, using a hand blower only, no compressed air, but to date have not shifted it.

I'm going to try again however as I would like thiis cleared prior to a weeks vacation in about a week, when I will obviously want to have the camera with me. However if I can get no joy then it looks as if I may need to invoke the Pentax warranty. As the camera is only five months old I can't see them raising too much fuss about that.

Dom
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:49 AM   #6

dom,
i had pentax clean mine when it was new. mailed it and had it back in 6 days. i think that was a fluke tho. hopefully you have a rep near you.. when you are ready to really clean it yourself let me know. it's real easy..

roy
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:54 AM   #7
TDN

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I would also check with Pentax about the warranty, some owners have posted that Pentax will clean a sensor under warranty, I can't verify that but it is worth checking.
I can verify that, at least in belgium dust falls under the pentax 2 year warranty.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:10 AM   #8

Roy

Sadly I don't think that they (Pentax) are that efficient over here, the general routine appears to run along the lines of package camera, send to Slough (praying in the meantime that the royal mail don't lose it) wait for them to clean/repair it, wait for them to send it back. As I go away a week tuesday I don't think I'll risk sending it back, unless they do a carry in service in which case I'll make the effort to go there personally.

In the meantime I'm about to commence cleaning again.

Dom
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:32 AM   #9

Here is a pretty good article on the subject:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

Personally, I have used the technique of using a high quality artists brush, thoroughly cleaned, and using water with a drop or two of Photoflo in it.

I posted this previously, and it has been excellent.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...t=sensor+clean
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:49 AM   #10

I second the artists brush, it is fast and the dust is no longer there, but it will not remove anything that is actually stuck to the sensor.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote