Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:52 PM   #11

I use a SanDisk Ultra II SD card that folds in half to expose USB contacts which plug directly into a USB port...NO CARD READER REQUIRED

Jack
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:57 PM   #12

Card reader here also. I have been Using one since i got into Digital photgraphy

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:32 PM   #13

Card reader also. Never forget a card in camera, as I have 6 1Gb cards at the moment, with more to be bought. Sounds a lot, but I am away for a week soon and will not be able to empty the cards till I get home.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:44 PM   #14

I use a reader also. I would not want to risk damage to camera usb port from constant reconnection. I think the camera tells you if you don't have a memory card in it, doesn't it? I always turn it on before I pack it im my bag and check battery level anyways. Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:18 PM   #15

jabilson007 schreef:
Quote:
.......I think the camera tells you if you don't have a memory card in it, doesn't it?......

Yes it does, but, when you look through the viewfinder, and only trhough the viewfinder you won't see it!.

Happened to me, I took about 20 pictures without a memory card in the camera. Must say it was one of the first times I took my DL out, but still, age? :?

Now I have a spare card, two sets af batteries and an image tank with me. But what to do when you start to forget taking the camera wioth you? Any gadgets for that ?

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:33 PM   #16

Always card reader- have several Pentaxes (and several users in family)- the USB cables do not last very long and the transfer speed via external card-reader is xxx times faster (sorry, have not tested K100D directly never as I know it will be slower... :-( )

Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:48 PM   #17

Thank You for all the responses and opinions.
I have always used a card reader (sice my optio 555 days).
Sometimes I find it mildy inconvenient to pull the card out and insert it into the reader....... on the other hand the DL from the camera is awfully slow.

I just wanted to know what folks thought.

Thanks

F(eroz)
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:14 PM   #18

I also carry spare mc's just because I hate to delete the good shots (don't have an external hard drive yet for b/u...any recommendations by the way???) I learned the hard way about forgetting the card ... went to take some pics at my stepdaughters basketball game & got the dreaded "NO MEMORY CARD" message!:sad:

When I took the camera shop class for the DL, I was told never to attach the camera to the computer on the 1 in a billion chance that you might a virus ... so card reader for me, also! BTW, I've never heard of a camera having a virus but if there is, mine would get one!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:50 AM   #19

Set the camera so it won't shoot without the card thru the Function Menu.

I use a PCMCIA card on my laptop and I also have extra MCards. And I also use one of those PostIt Index tab to the bottom of the CF card which makes it real easy to pull out of the slot in the camera.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote