Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:08 PM   #11

These are cool shots - well done!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:24 AM   #12

BK-ennacac-Sarah and mtngal

Thanks for the kind comments.To be honest I was pleased with the results considering I'm still learning.I found out that panning it's not easy and it requires a lot of patience and perseverance.Most of the photos were shoot at between 125 -350 with some as fast as 1500 of a second.Next time I will take your advise ennacac and try lower shutter speeds.

Ross
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:08 AM   #13

Very nice pictures. Were those taken at the Mosport track east of Toronto? Did you use a tripod at all?
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:19 AM   #14

quartz wrote:
Quote:
I was pleased with the results considering I'm still learning.I found out that panning it's not easy
You're obviously learning fast! Very good shots IMO.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:14 PM   #15

Kjell thanks I'm not sure if Ishould be considered a fast learner or just lucky,one thing is for sure trying makes perfect.

Intence that's corner 5 at Mosport a great spot to take photos and to seeall the action,and believe me there is always someone going off while trying to overtake and leaving the breaking till the last minute.I did use the tripod,but not for those two photos

Ross
Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:26 PM   #16

these are great!!

what's a ''V powered diesel''?? the diesels i've driven , i'd never want to run a race in one..

roy
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:02 PM   #17

robar wrote:
Quote:
these are great!!

what's a ''V powered diesel''?? the diesels i've driven , i'd never want to run a race in one..

roy
Hi Roy

"V powered" Is a Shell oil Marketing Slogin Here. I believe Some Sort of Additive to keep the valves clean.

If I am wrong someone will correct me. However that car in the Second picture is powered by an Audi Turbo Diesel.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:40 PM   #18

Gotta agree with Ennacac and the low shutter speed. I`ve seen too many race pics where the race car looks parked. Here`s a snapshot I did the other week at a boat race with a ist DS and a Sigma 135~400mm lense.
Attached Images

PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:48 PM   #19

Hi PTBStalker:

Great photo you get a sense of speed.As stated on my original post I'm new at this so all comments that can help me better my photo skills are welcomed.Based on the quality and sharpness of your photo of the boat the Sigma seems to be a nice lense .I used a Pentax 50-200mm for my photos,and a longer lense is in my future,what would the cost be for a Sigma 135-300.On my next shoot of cars I will try a lower shutter speed.What is you suggestion lower than 125.

Ross
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:21 AM   #20

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I am sure you will agree That the Bummer to Shooting at the races is the inability to get closer to the track. At Lime Rock Park, i have questioned them and due to insurance regs only Pros with credentials can get Down At track level.
At the 12 Hours of Sebring there are numerous spots where fans can getwithin about 75 feet of the track at ground level or on slightly raised berms. I have been at the race many times but never with a camera as I previously had no interest in photography or racing. If you are into IMSA racing it is a great race to attend. If you are not into racing (which appears to be true of 75% of the people who attend) it is one heck of a four day drunken party. Sometimes I take my kids out to see smaller races or time trials being held on the track.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote