Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:28 PM   #11

You did not mention the actual dollar terms of the DS or DL. Assuming you are in the U S, the price of K100D has dropped down to $580 something body only. By today's standard , 1/2 DS original sale price is not that much of a great deal.

Daniel

shodo wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I've lurked here for a while, but this is the first time posting. This is because an alternative to waiting to buy a K100 has come up. Turns out a friend of a friend would sell either his DS or DL, body only, (he has both) for half of what he paid for it. That should put them in the same price range with the DS about $300 and the DL maybe $30 less. Each has some warranty left and I trust he would help if there was a problem so I feel like they are almost like new.

I've read the specs on both cameras, but would like input from folks, which would you chose? Or do I just wait for the K100 to get a little cheaper and save my pennies?

Also wondering about thoughts for a first, inexpensive lens. I lived with a 35-105 for a long time with 24 mm prime as what I usually carried with me. So I thought something like the Sigma 24-135 I've seen discussed here could get me started under $400. What do you folks think? BTW, I understand it would be 36-200 equivalent.

Yes, I know I missed the big DL deal. Water under the bridge.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:04 PM   #12

Thank you to all who have replied. Sounds like the DS is worth the few extra bucks he'd want for it.

To Daniel, yeah, this is a tough value calculation. If I bought the K100 it would be with the kit lens making it even more attractive value wise, especially as prices continue to fall towards Christmas. I was hoping to get started with body and lens that fits my style(I hate carrying a big telephoto or tripod, so a main zoom with a bit more reach than the 18-55, but still hand holdable) for $410 with the DS. But it wouldn't surprise me if I a K100 with lens was available for $100 more than that in 6 months. Still, a camera in the hand is worth two in the store, or something like that. And pennies are tight right now.

Black Knight, sounds like a good choice. I'll check on size, weight, and price. A good range,quite fast. Do you have a suggested source either new or used?

Darren, this may be the comment that seals it for me. I was completely unaware of the difference in flash standard. I'll need to read on this a bit. Certainly could save some money on a good flash.

Would still love to hear more about possible lens choices and any other thoughts.

Thanks again.
shodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:26 PM   #13

shodo wrote:
Quote:
Black Knight, sounds like a good choice. I'll check on size, weight, and price. A good range,quite fast. Do you have a suggested source either new or used?
Used youcan look on Evil Bay. New you might get it from B&H.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:32 PM   #14

check out tri-state camera - i think i remember seeing pretty good prices for a DS body only, new. It would give you a current price reference. Of course, since that body isn't made anymore, tri-state might be out of stock and not have updated their webpage.

pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:47 PM   #15

the flash compatibility is what i like about the DS. there are literaly hundreds of TTL flashes that will work on the D & DS but will not work with other models..

buy from tri-state from EBAY ONLY. do not, i repeat, do not order from them directly. they have to watch their feedback on ebay.

roy
Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:38 PM   #16

i picked up my DL body for 435 brand new with a 100 mail in rebate, so actually 335, and amazon gave me $25 off for signing up for their card. 309 brand new body only...thats about what you're paying.

i went with the sigma 24-135 lens also and its a very nice lens. i paid 114 shipped from ebay (or was it evil bay?).

so total, i ended up paying $423 for a new body and new lens.....the only drawback is that i had to shell out the extra 100....and wait for the rebate. pentax makes a great camera. If the DL is the bottom of the line so to speak, then I can only imagine how great the other models are. You cant go wrong.
cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:08 PM   #17

Roy,
What is bad about ordering from Tri-State directly? I'm curious, I've only ordered from them once (DS) and it was an ok experience. they still called me up and tried to get me to buy more crap, but they're not the only ones that do that.

Pat
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:08 AM   #18

I also picked up the sigma 24-135mm lens, it's a great lens for the price (and appears to sell for about $350 on Amazon from sellers other than Cameta). It's a great walk-around lens, enough wide-angle and zoom for average photography. You should be aware that it's somewhat heavy though, if you get a great deal on a kit with the 18-55mm, i'd go for it since that's also a very nice lens and fairly lightweight/compact compared to the 24-135mm.
intence is offline   Reply With Quote