Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:17 AM   #1

Hi, I've lurked here for a while, but this is the first time posting. This is because an alternative to waiting to buy a K100 has come up. Turns out a friend of a friend would sell either his DS or DL, body only, (he has both) for half of what he paid for it. That should put them in the same price range with the DS about $300 and the DL maybe $30 less. Each has some warranty left and I trust he would help if there was a problem so I feel like they are almost like new.

I've read the specs on both cameras, but would like input from folks, which would you chose? Or do I just wait for the K100 to get a little cheaper and save my pennies?

Also wondering about thoughts for a first, inexpensive lens. I lived with a 35-105 for a long time with 24 mm prime as what I usually carried with me. So I thought something like the Sigma 24-135 I've seen discussed here could get me started under $400. What do you folks think? BTW, I understand it would be 36-200 equivalent.

Yes, I know I missed the big DL deal. Water under the bridge.
shodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:45 AM   #2

The DS has advantages over the DL with more features, but the k100D has SR. For the price, I would get the DS since the K100D would be about twice as much.

There may be quite a few DS's up for sale if the K10D is as nice as Pentax claims, but it is always better to get one from someone you know treated it well.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:04 AM   #3

Go for the *istDS, it has a real viewing screen that uses a pentaprism.

As for lens, well there's a host to choose from, but the DA 18-55mm is a good starting point with the DA 50-200mm extending the range to meet most individual's requirements.

Shake reduction is fine but ,IMHO, over stated as in all my years of photography, using the right shutter speed is basically all that is required. Added complexity also means there's more to go wrong.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:02 AM   #4

I have the DL2 and, nice as it is, I would go for the DS if given the choice. The jpg setup is appently better in the DL2, BUT and it is a BIG BUT, the DS uses TTL flash, not P-TTL. This means any old flashgun, with the correct low trigger voltage can be used, rather than be forced into buying expensive new flashes.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:37 AM   #5

I have a DL which I like very much but get the DS, more features, more speed and a proper pentaprism.

If you can still get the Sigma 24-135mm for a good price it is an excellent lens, if it works. A lot of buyers ended up with electronic issues, mine works (I have had it for about 6 months now, taken literally thousands of pictures, shot a couple of events which more than paid for the lens). I recommend this lens but with that warning, it is much better (IMHO) than the slower, more compromised, 18-125mm Sigma. Check out my avatar.

Ira

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:53 AM   #6

I would agree with the others. the DS is the way To Go. As to the lense, the 24-135 might Be a good lense. However I Will suggest another. I have a Pentax FA 28-105mm 3.2-4.5, Which i use as an Everyday lense. I Can highly reccommend This lense also

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:12 AM   #7

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
However I Will suggest another. I have a Pentax FA 28-105mm 3.2-4.5, Which i use as an Everyday lense. I Can highly reccommend This lense also

BK
I want one.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:42 AM   #8

me too.

if you can get the DS for 300usd then go for it!!! any lenses(thank you pentax) you buy will work on your next body...

roy
Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:41 PM   #9

IRA

Its MINE and you cannot play With It!!!! :lol:

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
However I Will suggest another. I have a Pentax FA 28-105mm 3.2-4.5, Which i use as an Everyday lense. I Can highly reccommend This lense also

BK
I want one.

Ira
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 2:19 PM   #10

I want one too! But then I've got a serious case of LBA. I search Ebay nightly

I bought the DL.....payed more than most are now. But I DO love it. Never had a DS so don't know the difference.But if the price is the same, I would say go for the one that has more features. Probably can't go wrong either way.

As for lenses, I only have two at the moment. The kit lens 18-55 and a 50mm f2 I got on the cheap from ebay(I really like it by the way). But Ihave noticed a couple by Tamron on ebay that look sweet. The Tamron 28-200 and 28-300 XR lens for pentax. Brand new the 18-200 is going for about 100 bucks and the 28-300 is going for about 170 or so. Soon as I get the cash one of them WILL be mine, oh yes, one of them WILL be mine lol :lol:LBA all the way baby!
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote