Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:56 PM   #1

Well I finally jumped off the fence and bought a new lens for my DL...Tamron 28-300 AF DI XR with Internal Focus... I hate always having to adjust a polarizer. I hope I didn't jump on the wrong side:?. Anyone have experience with this lens... I've heard it is a little soft at 300mm.

Jack
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:48 AM   #2
TC3

I gave it back after trying a few shots.....was not impressed at all and instead got a 50-200mm DA along with a Tamron 1.4 tc and am happier with that set up
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:19 PM   #3

Thats ok guys & gals, I can take it :sad:aaaaagh! Let me have it...both barrels. Is it that BAD:evil:... on second thought let me down easy:roll:

Jack
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:56 PM   #4

I went back and forth between the Sigma and Tamron 28-300 for my DL. So far I'm very pleased with the Sigma. I shot around 400 pix at the Michigan game and Tiger game this Saturday. This was my first weekend out and the Sigma performed great. I've attached one of my shots (taken from the end zone 6 rows up to about the 30 yard line at 300mm -1/250 f6.7). I have more on my website - http://www.michiganfan.com/photos/

I'm still waiting to try out the 50-200mm DA. I've heard great things about that one. Love the Sigma so far, especially for the price ($120 on eBay).

Attached Images

MichiganFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:00 PM   #5

I've had it for a year and a half. Not a bad lense. Stop it down a notch or 2 and stay away from 300mm, gets a little soft. I've been pleased with the results on a D and Ds. Prints look good also.
thazooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:34 PM   #6

Well, from the responses here it seems the 28-300 Tamron XR isn't the best choice. Thats too bad as I had my eye on one. But at least I found out before buying How about the 28-200 XR? Same thing or worth a look?
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:09 AM   #7

Great sports photography. Did you use a tripod for these pics or were they hand held?

MichiganFan wrote:
Quote:
I went back and forth between the Sigma and Tamron 28-300 for my DL. So far I'm very pleased with the Sigma. I shot around 400 pix at the Michigan game and Tiger game this Saturday. This was my first weekend out and the Sigma performed great. I've attached one of my shots (taken from the end zone 6 rows up to about the 30 yard line at 300mm -1/250 f6.7). I have more on my website - http://www.michiganfan.com/photos/

I'm still waiting to try out the 50-200mm DA. I've heard great things about that one. Love the Sigma so far, especially for the price ($120 on eBay).
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:09 PM   #8

Handheld. I've only had the DL for a few weeks, so I'm still learning my way around the camera. A few of the shots could have benefited from IS, but most turned out well. Next time out I hope to move away from the auto settings. This forum has some great advise to help get me started.
MichiganFan is offline   Reply With Quote