Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:24 AM   #11

KEH has Sigma 50mm & 90mm manual macro at $84 & $179 respectively.
Look for Tamron 90mm manual macro as well . All these are proven great lens.

Daniel

reefanatic wrote:
Quote:
Is there any place to get this online other then evilbay. I really hate ebay!

Thanks!
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:28 AM   #12

Obviously there are many good macro lenses to go for. Are there any proven lousy ones to stay away from?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:46 AM   #13

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Obviously there are many good macro lenses to go for. Are there any proven lousy ones to stay away from?

Kjell

There aren't any really bad macro lenses today. I even havea Sears macro lens from the 70s and it was just as sharp as a new Sigma EX (not kidding). The cheapest new macro lens right now is the f3.5 100mm Auto Focus Macro from Cosina. It is also sold as Vivitar, Pro-master and I believe it is also the same as the Pentax 100mm f3.5

It is a good lens for the money, but if you do a lot of pixel peeping and 200% comparisons, I would recommend to look somewhere else.

BTW, when looking at older macro lenses, you will always take the risk to run into one that has a problem with digital cameras. It usually shows at a small aperture F11 or smaller when aiming at a dark object that is surrounded by lot of light. (Window test!) Sometimes it also shows with flash (Ring Flash) It is like a discoloration in the center of the picture, caused by a reflection of one of the lens elements on the glossy sensor surface. Guess this is the reason why they invented "Digital Coating".

The Vivitar 105mm S1, Kiron and Lester Dine don't have it. Also the Vivitar 50mm Macro and the Sears I have don't have it.

I have noticed that problem with the Sigma105mm (non DG version), the Tamron 90mm (the old Adaptall model) and of course with a bunch of other old lenses (non macros).

In most cases it is not a problem. It really doesn't happen that often... Never been reason enough for me to stay away from an old well built manual lens.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:22 PM   #14

Where is a good place to get that $25 sigma 28-50 macro 1:2 lens aside from KEH?

Thanks.
reefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:22 PM   #15

"Where is a good place to get that $25 sigma 28-50 macro 1:2 lens aside from KEH?"

Hi reefantic,

The problem with most vendors and used lenses is that condition grading is too subjective. Most camera dealers who deal in used equipment other than KEH, B&H or Adorama probably don't do enough volume to even get a rating at any of the best-known web vendor rating sites, so it's a cr*p-shoot whether or not you're dealing with somebody who has any kind of integrity. I've even had problems with buying used stuff from both B&H and Adorama -- but they were very conscientious in correcting the problems and I ended up with 0 harm in each case, so I have no problems buying from them again.

I usually limit myself to high percentage feedback ebay sellers, KEH, B&H, Pentax User Classifieds, and Adorama. Of these, KEH is the best IMO.

KEH is the biggest and most recommended used camera equipment site for a reason. They very consistently under-grade the used stuff they sell (you're almost guaranteed to get something better than you expected) and their prices are at worst fair, and at best a great deal.

I've bought numerous lenses and accessories from KEH and have never been disappointed.

If you don't mind taking risks, Google "used cameras" or something similar, look over the gazilion sites that are returned, and take your pick. Please share your experiences with the group so we might find some new places to play (I would if I found a great site . . . really, I would. . .).

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:34 PM   #16

I picked up mine on ebay, but I have bought another lens from Keh and I was very pleased. I would order from them again (and probably will as soon as I have paid down the credit cards from this camera/lens buying frenzy).

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:19 AM   #17

Would this be a good buy?

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx

Also with those manual model Pentax lenses you all recommended, those are not specifically made for my mount correct? So I will have to adjust some settings in the camera body in order to adapt them right?

Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:12 AM   #18

That link won't work for me. Neither on IE or Firefox. Can you provide a different link?
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:25 PM   #19

Yeah I cant get it to work now either.

Lets just say I could make my budget a little bit bigger which macro would you purchase then. This will be for aquarium photography/mushroom/insect photography.

I guess what Im trying to get at is what is the best bang for the buck?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:34 PM   #20

I am reading the spec of a M100mm macro f4 pentax lens at $79 at KEH (around 7:30pm EST) at bargain condition which means that it is a bargain

It has sky high bang for the buck . It is K mount and there is no need for an adapter at all (for your macro and non-macro use as well)

Daniel

reefanatic wrote:
Quote:
Yeah I cant get it to work now either.

Lets just say I could make my budget a little bit bigger which macro would you purchase then. This will be for aquarium photography/mushroom/insect photography.

I guess what Im trying to get at is what is the best bang for the buck?
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote