Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:11 PM   #21

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I am reading the spec of a M100mm macro f4 pentax lens at $79 at KEH (around 7:30pm EST) at bargain condition which means that it is a bargain

It has sky high bang for the buck . It is K mount and there is no need for an adapter at all (for your macro and non-macro use as well)

Daniel

reefanatic wrote:
Quote:
Yeah I cant get it to work now either.

Lets just say I could make my budget a little bit bigger which macro would you purchase then. This will be for aquarium photography/mushroom/insect photography.

I guess what Im trying to get at is what is the best bang for the buck?

How is the image quality going to be? I want something really great! I want it to be better then the point and shoots.

I saw this on KEH:

105 F2.8 SIGMA EX MACRO 1:1 (58) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS

$225 for an EX condition lens.
reefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:13 PM   #22

yes daniel, i just sold mine for about $80 delivered.. i really liked that lens. it gave me many years of great images but i wanted 1:1.. the best thing about it was it was light weight and a 100% performer. i'd recommend it to anyone..

roy
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:55 PM   #23

I have nothing but positive about sigma 100mm macro 2.8 . And also you have verifiable expert opinion from Roy about Pentax 100mm macro F4 (at a price of $225 & $85 respectively).
Your decision is straight forward.

Daniel

reefanatic wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I am reading the spec of a M100mm macro f4 pentax lens at $79 at KEH (around 7:30pm EST) at bargain condition which means that it is a bargain

It has sky high bang for the buck . It is K mount and there is no need for an adapter at all (for your macro and non-macro use as well)

Daniel

I saw this on KEH:

105 F2.8 SIGMA EX MACRO 1:1 (58) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS

$225 for an EX condition lens.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:24 PM   #24

robar wrote:
Quote:
yes daniel, i just sold mine for about $80 delivered.. i really liked that lens. it gave me many years of great images but i wanted 1:1.. the best thing about it was it was light weight and a 100% performer. i'd recommend it to anyone..

roy

What are you using now?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:16 AM   #25

reefanatic wrote:
Quote:

What are you using now?
another old lens.. vivitar 105mm f2.5. it's a beast compared to the 100mm pentax but it does do 1:1 macros compared to the 1:2 of the pentax. the sigma you refered to is a stellar lens. for 225usd , it's a pretty good buy also.. it was on my short list when i was looking for a different macro lens. here's a shot using the pentax 100mm.
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:27 AM   #26

and another w/the pentax. this one is at about absolute magnification.
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:38 PM   #27

Well I went with the 105 Sigma for 225. I honestly cant wait! Its the mushroom season here right now and Im so excited to get out there and start taking some great shroom pics!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and I will try and post some pics on here.

Course they are gunna suck because I am a major noob.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:53 PM   #28

you will not be sorry. the sigma 105mm is a STELLAR macro lens.. hehe, just remember that when you get soft, unsharp images. it aint the lens... also get ready to use that delete key a lot more.. hey, film is cheap....

roy
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:10 PM   #29

Okay a couple questions.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"This is weird, but the lens says 1:2.8 on it although the receipt says 1:1.

I thought I bought a 1:1 lens?

Also how the heck do you get the whole image in focus? For some reason it only wants to focus on the center.

Sorry for being such a noob!

Thanks very much!
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:17 PM   #30

This is the description for the lens I got:

105 F2.8 SIGMA EX MACRO 1:1 (58) WITH HOOD, CAPS, 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS

If you do a search youll see the others they have, just like mine and if you look at their picture for the lens that it says 1:2.8?