Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:28 PM   #1

Looking for the best budget lens for the IST DL.

Thanks.
reefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:11 PM   #2

I believe the manual macro of pentax 50mm are currently in the range of $45 -$165 at KEH. They are great lens for macro and for non-macro use too.

Daniel

reefanatic wrote:
Quote:
Looking for the best budget lens for the IST DL.

Thanks.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:51 AM   #3

Hi Reefanatic,
I am pretty new to this also but let me throw in what I have learned. Older Kiron (Vivitar Series I, Lester A. Dine - same lens) 105mm 2.8 macro lenses seem to have a cult following and are often described as one of the best macros available. They seem to be going close to $200 on ebay. I lost two with bids around $180 and finally won one at $190. The lens has not arrived yet so I can't comment from personal experience.

I have a Sigma 28-80 lens that does 1:2 macros. I have been playing with it recently and it seems to do a good job but you have to get really close to use the 1:2 setting. I picked this lens up on ebay for $25.00 including shipping.

I am quickly learning that one man's expensive lens is another man's budget lens in this hobby so I don't know where your budget stands. For $25 though, I can recommend the Sigma. There are a some shots with this lens I posted tonight under Snail Attack and Trip to the Swamp threads.
HTH,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:55 AM   #4

when i saw my vivitar s1 105mmon ebay for BIN $129, i jumped on it.. it had not been listed for more than an hour.. it looks and feels like it set on the shelf for the last 20 years. image quality is fantastic. down side is that it's heavy and pretty long at 1:1 macro.
tim, you'll love the dine. build quality is unbelievable..

roy
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:39 AM   #5

Guess my budget is around $50-$100 for now since I was gouged so deeply by the purchase of the camera itself.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:06 AM   #6

Hi, if you are on a real budget and want to spent around 50 bucks or less, look for the 2x Vivitar Macro Focusing Converter. This will turn any 50 -100mm lens in a Macro lens. I use it all the time and wouldn't know what to do without it. If you later decide to buy a Macro lens that goes 1:1 and use it together with Vivitar MFC you will get even greater magnification ratio.

W
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:25 AM   #7

it will not work on the DA type lenses tho. the lens has to have an aperture ring on it..

how you doing will?

roy
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:25 AM   #8

BTW - I just did a quick search on EvilBay under "Pentax Macro" and here is one of the first lenses I ran into. Sigma 50mm f2.8 manual Focus.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-50mm-f2-8-...QQcmdZViewItem

I have this model myself and it is very nice, considering it's low price.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:34 AM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
it will not work on the DA type lenses tho. the lens has to have an aperture ring on it..

how you doing will?

roy
Hi Roy. I forgot to mention that there are 2 models. The one for the K mount and the one for the KA mount ( with all the contacts). I have both, and the KA one workswiththe Kit lens. You just set everything on the camera, just as if it was lens only. Of course AF is gone.

In Manual and AV mode, haven't tested any other modes.

Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:57 AM   #10

Is there any place to get this online other then evilbay. I really hate ebay!

Thanks!