Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:53 AM   #21

This is my best attempt with the 500mm mirror lens. Cropped resized, oversharpened, increased saturation, at least now it makes a decent web image.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:18 PM   #22

hi everyone.

these are some wonderful shots and i meant to contribute to a thread like this from several months back (but i never made the time). i took my very first moon shots around that time and found the results to be great (for my 1st time) as posted below. however, i recently (last 2 nites in a row) tried doing the same thing with the same setup and got completely crappy results.

my setup is:
using my pentax smc 28-200mm f4-5.6 and a takamur 2x teleconverter, mount my ds to the tripod, set mirror lockup function (2sec timer delay). now the tricky part is focus. I do it manually, which is very hard for me. I've already complained about having great difficulty telling whether i have an object in sharp focus here. but generally, i get it right. so, i set my lens at 200mm for max mag, focus on the moon till those impact spots and craters are as sharp as i can perceive through the viewfinder (even the focus indicator lights up). take the shot, look at the preview on cam, looks good. finally 'port it into ps and my 1st results were awesome (for me)

here is the exif for my 1st shots cropped 100% no other pp done:

Make PENTAX Corporation
Model PENTAX *ist DS
Exposure Time 1/15 Sec
F Number F11.0
Exposure Program Aperture priority
Exposure Bias Value -1
Sensing Method One-chip color area sensor
Shutter Speed Value None
ISO Speed Rating 200
Subject Distance Unknown
Metering Mode Spot
Flash Reserved
Lens Focal Length 0mm
White Balance Auto white balance
DateTime Original 2006:08:11 00:43:31
EXIF Image Size(W*H) 618 * 579
Software Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
EXIF Version 221

Attached Images

ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:33 PM   #23

couple nites ago i tried doing the same thing but my result were completely out of focus. trying to focus was incredibly hard (harder than i remember the 1st time) but i assumed that was due to the teleconverter and small aperature i was using. i simply set the lens at 200mm and turned the focus ring all the way to infinity ( i assumed that was what i did last time even tho it was contrary to the procedure i wrote above). Here is the result cropped 100% no pp:

Exif data:

Model PENTAX *ist DS
Exposure Time 1/6 Sec
F Number F11.0
Exposure Program Manual
Exposure Bias Value 0
Sensing Method One-chip color area sensor
Shutter Speed Value None
ISO Speed Rating 200
Subject Distance Unknown
Metering Mode Spot
Flash Reserved
Lens Focal Length 0mm
White Balance Auto white balance
DateTime Original 2006:09:06 23:04:07
EXIF Image Size(W*H) 680 * 724
EXIF Version 221
Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:46 PM   #24

and here is my last attempt, converted from raw and saved as jpg 100% cropped no other pp. I really thought i nailed it as i went back and looked through the viewfinder again and manually focused the way i decribed in my very 1st post. I found the focus point to be well before infinity this time, so i was sure i was gonna get sharp pictures even the focus confirmation signal was displaying, but low and behold when i viewed them on the computer... disappointment! :sad:

so how do you guys do it? how do you focus on the moon, what part do you look at? i find the viewfinder really small to look through and focus on small things. i thought setting the lens at infinity was the smartest way to focus on the moon, isnt it far enough away? what am i missing? is my teleconverter messing with me? how could i do it one time and not another? can you all fill me in? this is so frustrating. i want to be a consistant photographer but i seem to keep letting myself down.

ps. i am using the standard focusing screen that came with the ds but am thinking about swapping it out for one of the alternatives discussed in these forums.

pps it was a calm nite, no wind or anything else jostled the tripod.

exif data:
Model PENTAX *ist DS
Exposure Time 1/25 Sec
F Number F11.0
Exposure Program Manual
Exposure Bias Value 0
Sensing Method Unknown
Shutter Speed Value 25-Jan
ISO Speed Rating 200
Subject Distance Unknown
Metering Mode Spot
Flash Strobe return light not detected
Lens Focal Length Unknown
White Balance Unknown
DateTime Original 2006:09:07 22:52:57
EXIF Image Size(W*H) 760 * 784
EXIF Version Unknown

Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:04 PM   #25

They are definitely getting worse. At f/11 you should have enough DOF to simply put the lens on infinity and get better results than you posted.

Are you sure everything is together right, since that would cause the infinity focus to no longer be possible?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:14 PM   #26

hey thanks for the quick reply!

i've taken some test shots indoors after your suggestion to test the fit of everything and all the optics are working, albeit from a much closer distance.

this one was at about 14ft, with same lens and setup as previously described. cropped and converted from raw with no other pp. i can crop the image at 100% to show the detail the lens picks up. much better than my moon shots.

Model PENTAX *ist DS
Exposure Time 8 Sec
F Number F11.0
Exposure Bias Value 0
Sensing Method Unknown
Shutter Speed Value Jan-00
ISO Speed Rating 200
Subject Distance Unknown
Metering Mode Pattern
White Balance Unknown
DateTime Original 2006:09:09 17:03:07
EXIF Image Size(W*H) 696 * 464

Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:23 PM   #27

here is another image, sized to fit on the forum, same setup but taken at about 28ft away. at 100% crop, you can read some of the titles in the magazine spines and can see the bump pattern left by the paint roller on the blue wall.

I think the lenses and camera are put together correctly and functioning well. still dont know why i cant focus at infinity. perhaps i should go outside and take some test shots during the day on the horizon.

I'm missing so many chances to shoot the moon before it gets cold here. :sad:

Model PENTAX *ist DS
Exposure Time 10 Sec
F Number F11.0
Exposure Bias Value 0
Sensing Method Unknown
Shutter Speed Value Jan-00
ISO Speed Rating 200
Subject Distance Unknown
Metering Mode Pattern
White Balance Unknown
DateTime Original 2006:09:09 17:05:39
EXIF Image Size(W*H) 863 * 576
EXIF Version Unknown

Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:40 PM   #28

It still looks to me like you have a issue with distance of the lens from the sensor and that is causing you to not be able to focus to infinity.

Try the moon without the converter since I think that is the best bet as to where the problem is.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:51 AM   #29

My prime 200 mm focus beyond infinity (I can turn the focus ring to infinity and then2 mm more. I don't know why but its made that way and it's mentioned in the lens manual) Check if your lens behaves the same way.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:31 AM   #30

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Caught this shot of the moon last night...it was really the color of cheddar cheese! Image shot with Pentax 50mm-200mm at 200 mm in RAW. Image has been sharpened and cropped.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote