Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:50 PM   #1

Today was the first day both my wife (nurse) and I (cop) were off together in two weeks. We drove up to the local state park which, in part, is a cypress swamp. We learned a few tips about photography today, including the need for insect repellent, the advantages of leaving your children at home, and the fact that two people who want to take pictures cannot share one camera very well. But along the way we got a few good shots and lots of practice. The sad thing here is that I am the one reading the books, researching the equipment, studying this forum, and she just naturally takes better photographs than I do. Here are a few of the better shots we got today, as always, I would be grateful for any constructive criticism or advice.

This first one is a bananna spider. This one is both cropped and resized, and for the first time I tried sharpening a little. It was taken with the Sigma 28-80 macro zoom.

Tim

Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:53 PM   #2

Another stab at macro. Same lens.
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:59 PM   #3

I already have plans to go back to this same log and try the same shot again. I think it might be better if I took the shot with the lens inside or almost inside the log. I tried a number of different shots here but this was the best.
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:07 AM   #4

These next three were shot by my wife. Obviously the subject is more interesting but I got to shoot a number of shots at these gators and none of mine compared to hers. These three shots were taken with a Tamron 70-300 LD zoom. These were all very small juvenile gators, the largest was probably two feet long.
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:08 AM   #5

His two brothers (or sisters)
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:09 AM   #6

Last shot. Thanks for looking at them.

Tim
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:23 AM   #7

I really like the shots of the gators. Nice color, and contrast and detail.

The berries could use more DOF so more are in focus and the log needs more contrast so I doesn't look so flat and has more contrast.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:44 AM   #8

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
The sad thing here is that I am the one reading the books, researching the equipment, studying this forum, and she just naturally takes better photographs than I do.
Tim

I know exactly what you mean. I have £'000s of kit and she has a bridge camera. She doesn't really enjoy photography, but takes a few when she is in the mood. Her photos are right straight from camera.

I put it down to experimentation. I play with settings, lenses etc while she tends to shoot in full auto (I am corrupting her tho').

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote